• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Trip (1 Viewer)

timmyjones

he day started at 4:00am to get to Norfolk nice and early for the golden pheasants before we arrived at wolferton we managed to see a flock of about 100+ pink footed geese with some red legged partridge and curlew so we arrived at wolferton at about 7:15am and it took about 15mins for them to show. There was someone else there with his wife/girlfriend and while them and my dad was looking at a confiding muntjac deer i spotted 2 golden pheasant (L) tyring to sneak past at first i thought that one of them were a hybrid but it wasn't it was a 1st year male with a female. Happy with our first target bird in the bag we headed of towards Thornham.

Once we arrived we drove into the old car park and saw some redshanks and curlew on our left then looked right and saw a black tailed godwit with a spotted redshank (L) it was even easier than i had first thought to separate it from the common redshanks. We then parked the car and walked out towards someone who was already there when a group of about 20 birds saying "tveet tveet" flew past us we had our suspicions of what they were so we hoped in the car and drove back towards where they had landed as i raised my binoculars i saw that golden beak that Twite (L) have then the rosy rump was flashed and the id was confirmed so with the 2nd lifer in the bag we drove onto titchwell.

As as we turned into Titchwell there was a Egyptian goose in the field all on his own once we had parked the car we walked toward the visitor centre scouring the scrub etc for woodcock with out joy so we walked towards then we walked towards the fen hide where nothing was to be seen. we then walked towards the main hides and didn't see that much but there were some nice avocets shelducks Shoveler and Ruff. We then started to walk down to the beach when i spotted a marsh harrier soaring in the distance. Once we arrived on the beach we went down to some rubble and started to sea watch there was a big flock of common scoter on the sea about 500 but they were too distant to pick out the velvets. So we kept scanning to see a lot of goldeneyeand also some common scoter more close in then we picked up on 4 long tailed (L) ducks moving east 2 males and 2 females they were cracking birds and the males stood out magnificently with their white against the dark sea. Chuffed to bits but now starting to freeze our bits off we headed to the visitor centre for some breakfast. Next stop Choseley.

Choseley, Holkham, Wells, and Massingham later

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back