• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

This is from an email I got today:

For the third year the Norfolk & Norwich Nats are offering day workshops
for anyone (you don't have to be a member) on a variety of wildlife
subjects. Cost is £10 per head and full details can be found at
www.nnns.org.uk

On 4 August a SMALL MAMMAL workshop (10.00 to 4.00 at Holt Hall) will cover
the use of Longworth traps and other mammal-hunting gear as well as owl
pellet dissection.

On 14 September BUGS and BEETLES (10.30 to 3.30 at Sheringham Park) aims to
introduces beginners to two often-neglected groups of insects.

Places are still available on both of these.

Email [email protected] with queries or to book.

I was very fortunate to watch a mother Chinese Water Deer bring her fawn down to drink from the lagoon at Surlingham Church Marsh last night. This is the second year in a row I have recorded a youngster here. A Vole sp. scurried away before I could apply an ID.

At Wheatfen last Thursday a Fox slunk off into the scrub just ahead of me, near the small broads.

Cheers,
Jim.

Bats TG1543

Overnight 1st-3rd August recordings in this square - Sheringham - recorded four species Common Pipistrelle - 116, Noctule - 14, Soprano Pipistrelle - 2 Brown Long-eared Bat - 1.

Following FOON'S results, here are my recordings for TG3206.

Minimum 5 species: Brown Long-eared, Common Pip, Soprano Pip, Noctule and Myotis species. Unconfirmed recordings of Natterer's and Brandt's.

Out last night at Surlingham Church Marsh with a recorder attempting to confirm Barbastelle having heard a strong likeness near the church a week ago. Last night on the river side of the reserve, 2 commoner Pips and Daubenten's confirmed but would need to see results of analysis since one or two sounds went down as unknown. Out again tonight, passing the churchyard and perhaps jackpot?

Cheers,
Jim.

Apologies to any lovers of Water Voles (surely everybody!) but I'm afraid there's now one less along the Yare Valley as of today, due to the antics of Mr Stoat, who was caught red-handed by me after just having predated one. Naughty little critter! ;)

After a 2 month absence, the otter was caught on the camera trap again last night at 11.20pm, though sadly the photos aren't really worth posting!

Tg1642

Beeston Common area, recorded six species between 4th-6th September, Common, Soprano and Nathusius' Pipistrelle, Noctule, Barbastelle, and Brown Long-eared Bat. Additionally low confidence recordings of Natterer's and Daubenton's and 1 Myotis sp.

Pygmy Shrew (?)

Had a very, very small, dark Shrew sp at the east end of the campsite wood, Stiffkey. Instantly Pygmy Shrew came to mind, but I know they can be tricky. Looking at images at home, I am more confident.

Anyone else had many sightings of this species?

Kieran

Had a Bat sp in Tottenhill gp's woods this morning 11.30-my first daytime sighting...Is it unusual to see these things on the wing in January?

Had a Bat sp in Tottenhill gp's woods this morning 11.30-my first daytime sighting...Is it unusual to see these things on the wing in January?

Hi Steve,

It is unusual to see bats in January and in the middle of the day although it does happen from time to time.

It may be that the relatively mild conditions have woken the bat up from hibernation and it is desperate to feed or that it has been disturbed from a roost.

I remember seeing a Daubentons bat feeding in broad daylight in February a couple of years ago.

Regards

Steve

Semi-ermine stoat

Hi all

Whilst at Buckenham marsh the other day I caught sight of a stoat half way along the track towards the hide.

What was interesting was the fact that it had a white tail (apart from the black tip).

Has anyone else seen this individual? Or come across other semi-ermine stoats before?

Cheers

Dave

I photographed this stoat at strumpshaw in february last year.

Attachments

• DSCN8087.jpg
    DSCN8087.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN8084.JPG
    DSCN8084.JPG
    680.3 KB · Views: 53
Reedham to Berney Arms

Here is a very poor record shot of the Grey Seal that was lounging under the bridge at Reedham yesterday (taken with my mobile phone). It looked out of place away from the coast but I guess it is not too far to swim to Breydon. I was initially a bit concerned about it's welfare but some locals advised that the wooden structure had been occasionally used by seals in previous years. It also did not seem to bothered by passing boats and the trains overhead.

On the walk to Berney Arms, there were about 3 Hares running around. On the way back, I had many sighting of Chinese Water Deer as dusk approached.

Unusually early, were one or two bats flitting along Holly Farm Road in Reedham at dusk.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• Seal-Reedham.jpg
    Seal-Reedham.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 59
The seal may well be making its way gradually back to the sea, as one was seen on the river as far up as Whitlingham/Thorpe on the 16th, and then at Strumpshaw on the 18th (both sightings from comments on my blog)

Here is a very poor record shot of the Grey Seal that was lounging under the bridge at Reedham yesterday (taken with my mobile phone). It looked out of place away from the coast but I guess it is not too far to swim to Breydon. I was initially a bit concerned about it's welfare but some locals advised that the wooden structure had been occasionally used by seals in previous years. It also did not seem to bothered by passing boats and the trains overhead.

On the walk to Berney Arms, there were about 3 Hares running around. On the way back, I had many sighting of Chinese Water Deer as dusk approached.

Unusually early, were one or two bats flitting along Holly Farm Road in Reedham at dusk.

Cheers

Steve

One or two Bats in the garden last night, probable Pip sp. but upon running in to grab the detector they had departed. The temperature dropped significantly by dark so perhaps they fed at dusk and then headed back to roost.

Cheers,
Jim.

Disappointingly, there have been 4 dead Badgers over the past month along the A11 between Ketteringham and Spooner Row. I hope this doesn't represent too big a chunk of the local population.

A bat sp. last night was feeding under the street lights on West End, Costessey, while I was on toad patrol!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back