• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

no plastic sunflower seed? (1 Viewer)

farskywatcher

United States
Hello: does anyone have a source to buy sunflower seed without plastic packaging?
-If you have a source, can you please include retailer info?
(I'm keeping this post for others, but just found that our local feed store in SF Bay area has sunflower seed in bulk, I just bring in my own bag, yay!).

Hi farskywatcher and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

I have a local store that sells it loose too. Sadly he'll be closing down in the next few months.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Our local pet store sells sunflower seeds, various bird seeds, peanuts and fat balls loose.

I'll need to check next time I get to my local reserve but if I remember correctly the RSPB bulk (12kg+) sunflower seeds (and sunflower hearts) are packed in tough paper sacks.

At least that’s how I remember them looking.

They also claim to be "locally sourced" which essentially means from the U.K. and Europe has opposed to Argentina, China, USA, etc.

Tip for buying Sunflower...if its a shiny it's the current crop if dull it's over a year old and there is plenty of the older stuff on the retail market...the birds know the difference.

Hi, longer term solution - can you grow them? where I am they grow easily. Beautiful flowers and the birds take the seeds from the head so no need for plastic/metal feeders either :)

The good thing is you only need to sow the sunflowers once. Birds will take care of their propagation, as they drop a seed or two on the ground every now and then.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back