• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure vs EL - 10x42 (2 Viewers)

Greetings to everyone. Just yesterday I bought a Swarovski NL. I was thinking for a long time which one to buy. The rivals were Noctavid and Zeiss.. After the first look through the NL there was no longer a story about which one I would buy. The Swarovski NL gives a wonderful sharp, contrasting image, natural colors... The same you instantly merge with the image it gives you. I didn't notice any sterile images, sphere effects, etc... Simply, just a wonderful view over the entire field of vision. Honestly, if it could have an even bigger FOV, I'd be happy😂. My Swaro is 12x42 before I looked at it with 10x42 and I decided for the first one because it is somehow a nicer picture and the large FOV gives the width so that you don't have the feeling that you are looking through 12x at all. I don't regret the money because when I look through it, the view it gives me and the feeling are immeasurable....

Greetings to everyone. Just yesterday I bought a Swarovski NL. I was thinking for a long time which one to buy. The rivals were Noctavid and Zeiss.. After the first look through the NL there was no longer a story about which one I would buy. The Swarovski NL gives a wonderful sharp, contrasting image, natural colors... The same you instantly merge with the image it gives you. I didn't notice any sterile images, sphere effects, etc... Simply, just a wonderful view over the entire field of vision. Honestly, if it could have an even bigger FOV, I'd be happy😂. My Swaro is 12x42 before I looked at it with 10x42 and I decided for the first one because it is somehow a nicer picture and the large FOV gives the width so that you don't have the feeling that you are looking through 12x at all. I don't regret the money because when I look through it, the view it gives me and the feeling are immeasurable....

Yes, the NLs start out like a love affair, then a few hot sunny days later my time with them came to an end, views washed out and glare problems in strong sunlight.
However I will say they are still the finest Astro Binoculars I have used.
I think the fov entices new owners in, personally the image quality seen through the SF and EDG are superior.

Oh and that price! Ouch!! When did that happen? I was lucky enough to get mine a few years back but even so it took me a few deep breaths and a quick listen to some biblical sermons in the binocular shop to even consider getting the wallet out!

The truth is that it is as expensive as gold.. But let's go like this.. We all love good mobile phones, watches, I can only list them. And let's ask ourselves how much money we pay for this luxury that is mostly made of electronics and serves us for a couple of years. After that, we sell it cheaply or let's leave it in the drawer and buy an even more expensive one. I see the purchase of binoculars as an investment that will be with me as long as I live.. And at the same time serve me well. So that part about the expensiveness is debatable😊.

Would it be unforgivably rude to ask why you sold?
No, they are a phenomenal binocular no doubt but I was a little dissapointed at their performance in strong sunlight. I did have fun with them for a few years and sold when the prices were put up for a minimal loss.

I decided on some Canons, while not perfect they suit my needs well and I've always enjoyed that calmness to the image.
I used to mount the NL Pure during the day and under the stars, it was breathtaking but you lose the freedom of movement. Freehand they were also remarkably good for 12x.
There is something about a stabilised image that I just enjoy more.

Come on, hobbies are made to spend money. 3000€/usd is expensive? for something that will last 10 years minimum. Well... No is its not. It all depends on how many hobbies you got. (wife, kid, alcohol other drugs are not considered hobbies.)
There are so many ways to respond to this , I don’t know where to start.

I always thought alcohol and drugs were a hobby 😂. You’d agree if you seen my collection of single malt scotch.

It depends on how much money you allot to the wife and kids 🤪.

It depends if there’s a girlfriend on the side.

Yes, the NLs start out like a love affair, then a few hot sunny days later my time with them came to an end, views washed out and glare problems in strong sunlight.
However I will say they are still the finest Astro Binoculars I have used.
I think the fov entices new owners in, personally the image quality seen through the SF and EDG are superior.
Agree. I have both SF and NL 42mm. Love the views from both and the NLs certainly inspire some initial “Wow factor” with the crisp resolution, extreme FOV and explosive colors. But, similar to Elpha, after some use I find the NLs providing the most birding enjoyment on cloudy days. Although the enjoyment of image quality is very personally subjective I find the SFs more consistently superb under a wider range of field conditions. On the other hand although I very much wanted to like them, the ELs just never agreed with me.

As an outsider (I haven’t tried these two), I have never enjoyed a 10x bin but the NL has been making me think again… what’s less good about a 10x? 1) reduced field of view, 2) less sharpness and ease of view for some due to less steady viewing. It is VERY interesting that Swaro has managed to overcome both of these issues (if you also buy the headrest). That said, ergronomics go a long way and you’re prob only going to notice most of these things if you’re playing with both, so, don’t do that if you get the EL and you’ll be happy! FWIW, the story of the EL being made from birders input in particular is very charming.

Edit - “outsider” is to say I don’t have these two 10x42 bins. I have an 8x32 el (to be listed soon) and 8x32 NL, and have also had the el 8.5x42, that I do miss sometimes. So, I empathize with the difficulty of this decision, though suddenly feel the urge to remind myself that it is such a luxury to have this “difficulty” isn’t it ;)

As an outsider (I haven’t tried these two), I have never enjoyed a 10x bin but the NL has been making me think again… what’s less good about a 10x? 1) reduced field of view, 2) less sharpness and ease of view for some due to less steady viewing. It is VERY interesting that Swaro has managed to overcome both of these issues (if you also buy the headrest). That said, ergronomics go a long way and you’re prob only going to notice most of these things if you’re playing with both, so, don’t do that if you get the EL and you’ll be happy! FWIW, the story of the EL being made from birders input in particular is very charming.

Edit - “outsider” is to say I don’t have these two 10x42 bins. I have an 8x32 el (to be listed soon) and 8x32 NL, and have also had the el 8.5x42, that I do miss sometimes. So, I empathize with the difficulty of this decision, though suddenly feel the urge to remind myself that it is such a luxury to have this “difficulty” isn’t it ;)
It’s more of a luxury to keep them all 😉

Every time I put NL on my eyes there is a wow effect...and I usually say "oh this is brutal"..Because I can't use that big FOW with that sharpness from edge to edge, contrast, pastel colors etc...my people wow...😂😂 Nicely Ethan from Optica Exotica said .."It's like I'm watching National Geographic"..That man is almost to blame for my mania and in the end the acquisition of these binoculars...Before him, in the desire to get as close as possible to that sharp view, I got Meoptu Meo Pro Air, which is really good... but this is something like from another planet... I completely immerse myself in the picture and feel with it...

Ahhh OPTICA EXOTICA. I did enjoy very much watching his videos and his bino reviews and comparisons loaded at the same time with silly jokes. A pity he decided to take them down BUT completely understandable.
For me hard to decide too. I can not get used to my EL focuser, love the binos though, ergonomics, image etc but I keep getting frustrated when I have to do a relative fast focus. I have missed identifying many birds due to that. Still can´t sell them, I love them. I use them when sitting at the balcony looking for birds.
When I go hiking I prefer to bring either NL 10x32 or 10x42 SF depending the brightness of the day.
Even the "fast" focus issue I do not think I will ever sell the ELs.

I have a pair of 8x42 NL. Love the image quality. Hate the eye cup. I’m forever unscrewing the cups when I’m trying to pull them out.

Also £35 for the winged cups that should have been standard on a seriously expensive set of bins.

I have a pair of 8x42 NL. Love the image quality. Hate the eye cup. I’m forever unscrewing the cups when I’m trying to pull them out.

Also £35 for the winged cups that should have been standard on a seriously expensive set of bins.
When my NL eye cup unscrews when trying to pull out, I just tighten it down a bit and that problem goes away for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back