• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff P3 8 x 42- was it damaged in shipping? (1 Viewer)

nce

United States
Hello, I just bought my first binoculars. I didn't know any better, so I used a 20% discount for P3s (I wish I had sprung for P7s) and thought they would be fine for now. Unfortunately REI shipped them in a plastic bag, without even bubble wrap! The Nikon box wasn't dented, but the binos have a slight whitish haze. Nikon support says that if everything looks overexposed, they're likely damaged. I don't know how bad is damage or if maybe slight haze is normal due to the lesser quality optics of the P3s? Otherwise, they're nice enough, but I don't know any better! I can't return them to a store because the nearest REI is a 3.5 hour drive from where I live. It would take weeks to get sent another pair. What would you do?

Any person nearby that is familiar with optics?- a second person taking a look might confirm your diagnosis. Personally if I viewed something that exhibited a slight haze (if new- old 2nd hand porros a haze is normal with aging), I'd arrange to send them back. Regards, Pat

Can you mail them back to REI?. Get your money back, save a few $$$ then order the P7s directly from Nikon, any issues then, Nikon will take care of you.

Any person nearby that is familiar with optics?- a second person taking a look might confirm your diagnosis. Personally if I viewed something that exhibited a slight haze (if new- old 2nd hand porros a haze is normal with aging), I'd arrange to send them back. Regards, Pat
Thanks for your reply. I live in a very rural area- no optics stores, but maybe some local birders or hunters might be able to judge this. I'm probably going to exchange them, but I'd rather not deal with the hassle if it's normal. Nikon wasn't all that helpful.

Can you mail them back to REI?. Get your money back, save a few $$$ then order the P7s directly from Nikon, any issues then, Nikon will take care of you.
The only reason I bought these from REI was the 20% discount. I wouldn't buy the P7s without it, but it would take awhile to do the REI exchange & I might lose the coupon in the process. I'll probably just send these back if necessary for another P3.

I am assuming you are an REI member. If want the p7 I would absolutely go for it. The p7 and monarch 5 were my first pair of real binos and they were indistinguishable to me at the time. Made me wonder why I bought the monarch 5.

If you are a REI emeber give them a call. I would exchange it if you can. They will probably honor the 20% off also. Not sure. It is worth giving them a call. REI customer service is excellent and very understanding.

Hello, I just bought my first binoculars. I didn't know any better, so I used a 20% discount for P3s (I wish I had sprung for P7s) and thought they would be fine for now. Unfortunately REI shipped them in a plastic bag, without even bubble wrap! The Nikon box wasn't dented, but the binos have a slight whitish haze. Nikon support says that if everything looks overexposed, they're likely damaged. I don't know how bad is damage or if maybe slight haze is normal due to the lesser quality optics of the P3s? Otherwise, they're nice enough, but I don't know any better! I can't return them to a store because the nearest REI is a 3.5 hour drive from where I live. It would take weeks to get sent another pair. What would you do?
Hi. Just to be clear is the whitish haze when you are looking at something through the binoculars? If so try looking at an object that is away from direct light.

I am assuming you are an REI member. If want the p7 I would absolutely go for it. The p7 and monarch 5 were my first pair of real binos and they were indistinguishable to me at the time. Made me wonder why I bought the monarch 5.

If you are a REI emeber give them a call. I would exchange it if you can. They will probably honor the 20% off also. Not sure. It is worth giving them a call. REI customer service is excellent and very understanding.
Ohhh, I just picked up replacement P3s. They were alone in a bag with NO cushioning again! I will NEVER buy another pair of binoculars through REI again!
I paid cash for these over a month ago when I was near a store (initially I bought a Vortex monocular, which was useless.) REI is taking a month or more to refund returns at this time, so if I replace it I need to do it at a store.
What I'm wondering now is why I'm getting the black semicircles in the right eye after I try to adjust it, even when I turn it back to the neutral position. The previous pair did this, too. I need to play around with these more, but I wonder if they're so off that they can't adjust correctly.
At least this P3 doesn't have the whitish haze that the previous pair had.

Ohhh, I just picked up replacement P3s. They were alone in a bag with NO cushioning again! I will NEVER buy another pair of binoculars through REI again!
I paid cash for these over a month ago when I was near a store (initially I bought a Vortex monocular, which was useless.) REI is taking a month or more to refund returns at this time, so if I replace it I need to do it at a store.
What I'm wondering now is why I'm getting the black semicircles in the right eye after I try to adjust it, even when I turn it back to the neutral position. The previous pair did this, too. I need to play around with these more, but I wonder if they're so off that they can't adjust correctly.
At least this P3 doesn't have the whitish haze that the previous pair had.

Hi. Just to be clear is the whitish haze when you are looking at something through the binoculars? If so try looking at an object that is away from direct light.
Well, I received replacement P3s that don't have the haze, so I assume that the previous pair was damaged.

I have a question- Since this is your first pair of binos, are you correctly using the width adjust such that the eyepieces are correctly centered on the eyes? Further, are you using the eyecups twist height adjust correctly?. Without glasses, you may need to twist the eyecup height to the maximum. With glasses you may need to twist the eyecups all the way down and still not see the image correctly due to the nature of the limitations of the binos and the offset from the eye that glasses cause. First make sure the binos are "spread" to the same measurement as you IPD- the distance your eyes are apart. Then if you don't wear glasses, turn the eyecups all the way up and see how it looks/ feels to you. There's more to it than that but that should get you closer to being comfortable with the binos. Regards, Pat

Hi,

black semicircles sound indeed like improper eye placement. Maybe play a bit with the IPD setting...

Good to hear the 2nd pair survived the abuse... sounds like REI (whatever this acronym stands for) is a vendor to avoid for optics...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back