• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope III ED/Swar ATS 65 HD (1 Viewer)

Avron

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that one or some of you might have had the opportunity to compare directly the Nikon Fieldscope III ED with the Swarovski ATS 65 HD. If so, I'd be grateful if you were to let me know what you found. Would you recommend one as opposed to the other? I have read the reviews in BVD and Alula. It seems that BVD would lean toward the Swarovski. It's not clear to me that the same would be the case for Alula.

Thanks for the help.

Avron

Hi Avron

welcome to BF.

If you can you really need to compare the two yourself, individual users have individual preferences. I've seen two members compare the same scopes with two totally different outcomes

My son has the Swaro and I have managed to use the Nikon quite a lot over the recent past (I have the Nikon 82ED).

The cost of each scope is significantly different and I am quite certain that the Nikon offers far better value for money than the Swarovski. But the Swaro is probably the finest small scope available today as an overall package, if cost is no consideration.

That said, the little Nikon with a 30xW lens offers a view that I would find any serious criticism difficult to accept - it is an utter gem of a scope/eyepiece combination. Where the Nikon falls slightly short is in its zoom lens, which, although offering an exceptional view in every way, is less wide than the Swarovski at lower magnifications.

I think you would be thrilled with either scope, however - and the cost saving on the Nikon would mean you could buy it with both the new zoom and the 30xW - and what a combination that would be!

But... if you just want a scope with a zoom, have you looked at the Zeiss 65 with 20-60x? The Zeiss zoom is a revelation because it offers such an unusually wide field of view - almost half as much area again shows through it as with the Swarovski zoom. This will help make locating birds much easier.

It is worth pointing out that Leica also make scopes!
I chose the Leica Apo 62mm after prolonged testing against the other major brands,including the Swaro,so once again,try what you can and see what's best for your eyes.

The replies so far have been very helpful. I have a quick question for Steve. You ask if I have looked at the Zeiss 65 with 20-60x. It is my understanding that the zoom on the Zeiss 65 has a range of only 15-45x. Has this changed? And, Trevor, thanks for the reminder about Leica. Finally, I agree with Pete that the best alternative is, of course, to test optics for oneself. It is odd, however, that, in Toronto, a fairly large city, there is no dealer who carries all of these scopes for trial. I have not been able to find even one that has both the Nikon and Swarovski in store. Currently, it is also the case that Leica and Zeiss are not well distributed here. Your views are thus most appreciated.

Best,
Avron

Avron said:
Hello everyone,

I am hoping that one or some of you might have had the opportunity to compare directly the Nikon Fieldscope III ED with the Swarovski ATS 65 HD. If so, I'd be grateful if you were to let me know what you found. Would you recommend one as opposed to the other? I have read the reviews in BVD and Alula. It seems that BVD would lean toward the Swarovski. It's not clear to me that the same would be the case for Alula.

Thanks for the help.

Avron

Wrong forum section, Avron, but welcome, anyway!
Topics tend to get mixed up during discussions, but we should at least let them start in the right place. I own the Nikon, and I am very pleased with it since I switched to the 20-60 zoom. The whole scope is so incredibly compact, it is perfect for travelling. Scampo will tell you all about both brands, though.

Avron said:
It is odd, however, that, in Toronto, a fairly large city, there is no dealer who carries all of these scopes for trial. I have not been able to find even one that has both the Nikon and Swarovski in store. Currently, it is also the case that Leica and Zeiss are not well distributed here. Your views are thus most appreciated.Best,Avron

A good place to compare optics is usually at Point Pelee. As you see from their website, they carry a good selection.

http://www.peleewings.ca/

Of course, that is not close, but you might combine it with a visit in mid May to enjoy a bit of migration.

Avron said:
The replies so far have been very helpful. I have a quick question for Steve. You ask if I have looked at the Zeiss 65 with 20-60x. It is my understanding that the zoom on the Zeiss 65 has a range of only 15-45x. Has this changed? And, Trevor, thanks for the reminder about Leica. Finally, I agree with Pete that the best alternative is, of course, to test optics for oneself. It is odd, however, that, in Toronto, a fairly large city, there is no dealer who carries all of these scopes for trial. I have not been able to find even one that has both the Nikon and Swarovski in store. Currently, it is also the case that Leica and Zeiss are not well distributed here. Your views are thus most appreciated.

Best,
Avron
You are correct - as with the Leica, the zoom range on the smaller scope is 15-45x. I don't think that would make a deal of practical difference, though - and the ultra-wide fov of the Zeiss remains a major practical birding plus point. I'm surprised they are not widely avaiable as both are major world brands and Zeiss, in particualr, is highly regarded in the USA. Leica also make many of their products in Canada - or used to do so.

This weekend, under a dark cloudy mid-day sky in the field on waterfowl I had a chance to compare my Fieldscope III ED 60 mm. obj.with the 20x60x zoom to a Swarovski ATS 65 HD with 20x60x zoom. The Swarovski at higher powers was noticibly brighter (enough to make an ID--perhaps under some conditions/birds). I did not detect a difference a sharpness. Day was too dark to make a comparison of contrast or color fidelity.

I really liked the new Swarovski zoom. Much more open and easier to use with eye glass than the Nikon zoom. Which has always been my complaint with the Nikon zoom that I've used for almost 2 years. But, not enough of a complaint to use my previously purchased 24x and 40X wide angle eyepieces.

For my personal use the Swarovski 65 HD does not offer enough of an advantage over the Nikon to warrant the extra dollars. However, it did cause me to order a Swarovski ATS 80 HD. It is just hard to beat increased objective size for increased resolution and brightness, which becomes apparent at the higher powers.

Bob D

scampo said:
You are correct - as with the Leica, the zoom range on the smaller scope is 15-45x. I don't think that would make a deal of practical difference, though - and the ultra-wide fov of the Zeiss remains a major practical birding plus point. I'm surprised they are not widely avaiable as both are major world brands and Zeiss, in particualr, is highly regarded in the USA. Leica also make many of their products in Canada - or used to do so.

its obviously national correct Scampo day the zoom on the Leica 62 is 16-48.

Swissboy said:
Wrong forum section, Avron, but welcome, anyway!
Topics tend to get mixed up during discussions, but we should at least let them start in the right place. I own the Nikon, and I am very pleased with it since I switched to the 20-60 zoom. The whole scope is so incredibly compact, it is perfect for travelling. Scampo will tell you all about both brands, though.

Thanks for pointing that out,I've now moved the Thread to the Scopes section.

I had a chance to do a fairly comprehensive comparison in the field last year, and even though the Swaro doens have the edge in my opnion, I don't think the difference is large enough for me to switch scopes.

The main advantage of the Swaro is the armouring and the zoom eyepiece.The Nikon 20-60x zoom is clearly not as comfortable in use as the Swarovski, and it's too narrow at low magnifications. Optically it's pretty good, but even there I prefer the Swarovski. And the Nikon has one more disadvantage - it doesn't balance very well on the tripod, it's back heavy. A shame Nikon didn't do something about this - the old ED II was front heavy.

Hermann

If you need a wide zoom, there is only one choice - the Zeiss 65/85T* - it puts even the Swaro to shame from that (very important for birding...) pewrsepctive.

The Nikon zoom not comfortable? Well - we all differ, but after a very short time I found using mine became second nature. Put a 30xW on the Nikon and you really see it at its best - what a beauty.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back