• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon eyepiece, rubber cup replacement? (1 Viewer)

rdfish1

I’m looking at a used ep that is missing the cup, the soft rubber than can be rolled back or removed from the ep. I suspect this is an older design vs the Mc rotating cup.

Anyway, I don’t think Nikon offers them so will likely require some creativity but any suggestions on how to address or replace?

If you have a model or part number I could ask Nikon U.K. who might be able to help… more helpful than Nikon US for binocular eyecups.

Peter

NikonUSA used to have these available but they may no longer be in stock or they may not sell them since they no longer sell parts for service, only parts that they consider to be "accessories" (e.g. the eyecups for the Superior E porros were sold or even given away as accessories whereas the physically identical eyecups for the nearly identical Premier SE porros were considered a service part and were not available).

If you can find them, there were at least two folding rubber eyecup standards for the fixed eyepieces--one for narrower diameter eyepieces like the 20/25x and another for the wider diameter 24/30x WF, 30/38x WF, 40/50x WF, and 60/75x WF. Lacking a factory replacement, I'd look at generic eyecups for astro or microscope eyepieces, fashion one out of bicycle innertube, or get someone to 3D print you something.

I don't generally use eyecups because I wear glasses or else don't want to bump the scope. I have a 20/25x eyepiece where the fold-down bit broke off along the crease. The remaining rubber makes it look like a miniature DS series eyepiece (with rubber covering around the ocular) and it works fine to prevent scratches if I bump into it w/my glasses.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back