• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10x42 SE's (1 Viewer)

mikefitz6

I have been looking for some 10x42's and really wanted to buy the Swarovski 10x42's EL's on sale locally for $1770. I had to be honest that I have never grabbed binos to look at birds when it is raining out. I also have $1200 + dollars left over after getting a pair of used 10x42's (Thanks Charlie!). Since I had the 8x32 SE's that I really liked, I think I made the right decision. If I consider my wife's viewpoint, I still overspent, but it was only a slightly dumb purchase rather than putting me in the idiot category.

The extra power may not be much, but it is noticeable to me. So far I have not tried these out on birds, there was no time yesterday. I did not see CA except on some power lines and even then it was a maybe. I thought I was more sensitive to CA, but not in the case of these binos so far. They are lightweight and comfortable for me to hold. I thought shaking was going to be a problem, but no more so than the 8x32's. With a little extra power it is just easier to see that I am not as steady as I would like to be! At dusk, I really cannot say that their was a big difference in brightness. I suspect it was more the 10x vs the 8x that I was seeing.

I really could see the difference last night and this morning on some star clusters and faint nebulas. I could pick them up with direct vision versus the averted vision with the 8x32's.

The star fields seem to be sharp across most of the field, certainly better than some Orion 15x70's I have.

I will have a chance to do a little better daytime comparing soon. I don't see them as a replacement but more of a compliment to the 8x32's. I am pleased with the binos so far. Better or equal to the Swarovskis? I have no clue. I know I won't walk into the local store to compare them, too awkward, so I will most likely never know for sure. I am happy with the purchase however, so I guess it does not really matter.

Mike

Mike,

Congrats on your new SEs. I started with a very nice 8x42 Ultravid BR a few years ago, then like you I found a good deal on new 10x42 SEs from Adorama. My buddy and I spent a few hours comparing my SEs to his 2005 vintage 10x42 Swaro SLCs, and we both agreed the SEs were the clear winner in every catagorie we could perceive. Only caveate, his SLCs hadn't been cleaned in a while, but they were'nt dirty by any means.

John

I have a pair of 10x42 SE's in excellent condition I'm thinking of selling. Right now I use them mainly as my night owl's. They work better than you might think for this, at least in the city.

I actually did an A B comparison with them against my Zeiss 10x42FL's and they were indeed a hair sharper. Looking at an apartment window I had looked at 1000x times before I could see the crossbars with more clarity. And for color richness they beat the Zeiss to hell and back.

They are great bins but I'm looking to pair down my collection to maybe 4 pairs and they are one of the redundant one's I'm considering selling.

Ness.....think long & hard. I traded mine off at the beginning of the summer (along with 3 other binos & a scope/ep to a good friend for some other stuff) and even tho' I also have other binos (6 remain), that SE was as good as anything I've ever had, one costing triple what I paid for the SE 9 yrs ago. SE's are keepers....

I actually did an A B comparison with them against my Zeiss 10x42FL's and they were indeed a hair sharper. Looking at an apartment window I had looked at 1000x times before I could see the crossbars with more clarity. And for color richness they beat the Zeiss to hell and back.

And the "my old bins are better than my new ones" posts just keep coming.

Of course, it would have been a lot more convincing if the ones you were selling were the FLs! :)

Brock

The 10x42 SE was the first truly magnificent binocular I ever looked through, and I still haven't seen anything to beat it.
Ron

I am thinking of comparing mine with my new 10 x 32 EDG which I have already compared with my 10 x 35 EII. I think the EDG has the edge there.:t:

Bob

And the "my old bins are better than my new ones" posts just keep coming.

Of course, it would have been a lot more convincing if the ones you were selling were the FLs! :)

Brock

Actually I sold the FL's for part cash and part trade for the Nikon's to a member of this forum. I assume he flipped em out because I've never seen him talk of them. I have a pair of Nikon Monarchs and I want the Zeiss 10x56 which is going to be better than the NikonSE. So I'm looking to sell the Nikon and a redundant pair of Pentax 12.5x50 DCF's. The Pentax are very underrated, you can see well at just ridiculously long distances and with a better hold and a nicer field of view than the Zeiss 12x45.

I have been looking for some 10x42's and really wanted to buy the Swarovski 10x42's EL's on sale locally for $1770. I had to be honest that I have never grabbed binos to look at birds when it is raining out. I also have $1200 + dollars left over after getting a pair of used 10x42's (Thanks Charlie!). Since I had the 8x32 SE's that I really liked, I think I made the right decision. If I consider my wife's viewpoint, I still overspent, but it was only a slightly dumb purchase rather than putting me in the idiot category.

The extra power may not be much, but it is noticeable to me. So far I have not tried these out on birds, there was no time yesterday. I did not see CA except on some power lines and even then it was a maybe. I thought I was more sensitive to CA, but not in the case of these binos so far. They are lightweight and comfortable for me to hold. I thought shaking was going to be a problem, but no more so than the 8x32's. With a little extra power it is just easier to see that I am not as steady as I would like to be! At dusk, I really cannot say that their was a big difference in brightness. I suspect it was more the 10x vs the 8x that I was seeing.

I really could see the difference last night and this morning on some star clusters and faint nebulas. I could pick them up with direct vision versus the averted vision with the 8x32's.

The star fields seem to be sharp across most of the field, certainly better than some Orion 15x70's I have.

I will have a chance to do a little better daytime comparing soon. I don't see them as a replacement but more of a compliment to the 8x32's. I am pleased with the binos so far. Better or equal to the Swarovskis? I have no clue. I know I won't walk into the local store to compare them, too awkward, so I will most likely never know for sure. I am happy with the purchase however, so I guess it does not really matter.

Mike

Mike:

You have done well in your choices, :t:I have or have had these same ones and
you will have trouble in your search for anything much better. Go to the Better View Desired, site and the same great things said about these Nikons
will apply today.

Jerry

Comparing monarch with SE in last week.
Even SE brings more brightness,sharpness,detail,slight CA,..etc,
but monarch provides bigger image of birds and natural 3d vision for me.
Personally I prefer monarch to SE :(

Joe

I just like the bigger FOV on the Nikon EII's and I got blackouts with the Nikon 10x42 SE.

hello Dennis..^_^

I worried about SE's blackout too at first place, but surprisingly it becomes the most comfortable binos to look through IMO...:eek!::-O

about EII , I was distracted with its edge softness even it has wider FOV...

but, that just my opinion...;)

best regards

Galih

hello Dennis..^_^

I worried about SE's blackout too at first place, but surprisingly it becomes the most comfortable binos to look through IMO...:eek!::-O

about EII , I was distracted with its edge softness even it has wider FOV...

but, that just my opinion...;)

best regards

Galih

I understand what you are saying but for my eyes the FOV is so large on the EII's it takes a concerted effort just to see the edge. I have to roll my eyes way up just to see the edge. It just depends on what you prefer I guess. After using the EII's the SE's felt like I was looking down a TUNNEL. I IMMEDIATELY preferred the EII's and sold my SE's the next day. The difference was that dramatic! Different strokes for different folks.

I understand what you are saying but for my eyes the FOV is so large on the EII's it takes a concerted effort just to see the edge. I have to roll my eyes way up just to see the edge. It just depends on what you prefer I guess. After using the EII's the SE's felt like I was looking down a TUNNEL. I IMMEDIATELY preferred the EII's and sold my SE's the next day. The difference was that dramatic! Different strokes for different folks.

Dennis:
You should know there is no tunnel with the 8x32 SE's, 7.5 deg. of pure viewing pleasure. I find I prefer the view through the SE better than the EII. If you find the difference dramatic, I do wonder if it is time for an
eye exam. They are both very good. Your dramatic is becoming ho-hum.
Save it for something that is more meaningful. It seems you change binoculars as often as some people change socks. (The next day). ;)

Jerry

Indeed, the view offered by the 8x30E II is so expansive that it *feels* like a better view than the more constrained but more disciplined view of the SE. I have not spent much time looking through SEs (both 8 and 10s), but the only thing comparable to what they offer is what I saw through some 10x Swarovisions at my local dealer. But SEs did not work well at all with my glasses, while my EIIs work well, and offer the same view over 60% of the FOV that SEs offer over maybe 90%, so its a worthwhile tradeoff. Plus, I got that screaming deal ... :)

I also find Dennis' comparisons a bit categorical, but I understand his subjective reasons for preferring one view over another.

David

Mike - I'm going to suggest an alternative to the Nikon 10x42 SE you are seeking. I first went to the 10x42 because it was the first SE out of the chute. Of course it is a first rate binocular. Then came the 8x32 SE, which was just plain handy, and arguably the best binocular for the money period, regardless of its eyecups, not H2O proof, etc. Soon to follow was the 12x50 SE which introduced a very nice package for the sophisticated user.

Having all three models, some multiple which ended up in relative's hands, I came to use the 10x42 SE less and less. It just added 2X more power, but the 12x50 SE added 4X more power. So the 10X42 SEs left my collection because the 8x32 SE met the majority of my needs, and when I wanted a quick look with more power, the 12x50 SE was the ticket. It doesn't displace the Zeiss 15x60 B porro for long distance viewing when in a firm position, but the weight is not overwhelming and one can hold it quite steady.

So I recommend you take a look at the 12x50 SE before you spring for the 10x42 SE, unless you want to have just one SE to use, and then the 10x42 SE really makes sense, particularly if you want a superior porro. John

Dennis:
You should know there is no tunnel with the 8x32 SE's, 7.5 deg. of pure viewing pleasure. I find I prefer the view through the SE better than the EII. If you find the difference dramatic, I do wonder if it is time for an
eye exam. They are both very good. Your dramatic is becoming ho-hum.
Save it for something that is more meaningful. It seems you change binoculars as often as some people change socks. (The next day). ;)

Jerry

Your just defending your SE's like somebody defends their kid and you don't have to have to. They are great binoculars! But their FOV of 400' compared to the EII's 450' is a huge difference and to the person who likes a BIG FOV it is the deciding factor. My eyes are 20:10 so there is no problem there. I just enjoy the bigger FOV in the EII's. Nikon probably designed these two porros with both of us in mind. For the person that likes a big FOV the EII and for person that likes sharp edges the SE.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back