• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10X35 E "C" (1 Viewer)

Congrats!

It’s a very fine performer : a great lightweight 10x glass which inspired me to get its descendent, the venerable EII 10 x 35.

I hope it gives you many years of active service.

Regards,

Neil

Congrats!

It’s a very fine performer : a great lightweight 10x glass which inspired me to get its descendent, the venerable EII 10 x 35.

I hope it gives you many years of active service.

Regards,

Neil
Tried them out against my Audubon 8.5X44 HR5's today and no match for that wide beautiful FOV! On the other hand I'll be comparing them to my heavy and bulky 10X50 Celestron Ultima's for astronomy if it ever stops raining! I think at night they may be just the ticket. If not maybe Eii's?

Last edited:
That was a fast evaluation of the Nikon 10X35 C. There is a nice E II 8X30 in the classifieds, now that could compete with the Swift FOV.

That was a fast evaluation of the Nikon 10X35 C. There is a nice E II 8X30 in the classifieds, now that could compete with the Swift FOV.
Don't really like to drag my Swifts out at night, I didn't really expect the E to out perform an HR5 in the daytime anyway. Of course I was using them at fairly close distance. I had a 7X35E that I definitely liked better for daytime use. Do you think a look through the 8X30Eii would pry the Swifts out of my hands?

I only have one swift a late model 820 non ED. But I prefer both the Nikon SE 8X32 and the EII 8X30 to it, just my subjective opinion.

Hope to try out my 10X35E tonight on some stars, 6.6 degree v/s my Ultima 10X50 5 degree. I'm hoping the extra FOV (and sharper to the edge) and ease of handling will make up for the loss of light G.

Last edited:
If the Ultima is a good and decent 10X50, (sorry do not know anything about it), it would win the evening sky battle.

Ultima is an 80's-90's made in Japan bin. (FMC and BAK 4) with only 5 degree FOV and quite a lot of fall-off at the edges. Otherwise quite sharp and nicely built.

Attachments

• ULT.jpg
    ULT.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If the Ultima is a good and decent 10X50, (sorry do not know anything about it), it would win the evening sky battle.
You were right, the 50's trounced the 35's. Also the fall off at the edge of the 50's is less noticeable at night. Still, a wider field would be nice! For now I'll keep the 10X35 for now, good for daytime longer distance. Not a lot of $ tied up in them. I ordered a pair of Monarch M7 8X42 from Nikon and we'll see how they perform at night?

Last edited:
You were right, the 50's trounced the 35's. Also the fall off at the edge of the 50's is less noticeable at night. Still, a wider field would be nice! For now I'll keep the 10X35 for now, good for daytime longer distance. Not a lot of $ tied up in them. I ordered a pair of Monarch M7 8X42 from Nikon and we'll see how they perform at night?
Well I sold the Celestron Ultimas (250.00 shipped) and the M7's arrive tomorrow and hopefully they will perform as good as My Audubon HR5's at night (Same FOV, 8.3). I'll be taking my 10X35E along birdwatching. Yesterday a pair of bluebirds wouldn't come closer than 100' and that little bit more mag. would have been useful!

If you have dark skies where you are, the Monarch 7s will perform well. My swift 820 shows stars as seagulls approaching the field stop in the north and south quadrants which irritate me, nice glass for the daytime though. What about the EII 10X35, did you ever pursue them?

If you have dark skies where you are, the Monarch 7s will perform well. My swift 820 shows stars as seagulls approaching the field stop in the north and south quadrants which irritate me, nice glass for the daytime though. What about the EII 10X35, did you ever pursue them?
No because I'm happy with my HR5 for daytime and 35mm is too small for astronomy. I will keep the 10X35 E to suppliment my HR5 when I need a little more mag. I have a dark site 45minutes away, an arboretum on top of a small mountain that's also a good birdwatching spot. My Hr5's are plenty bright so the M7's should be about the same. Their exit pupil, FOV and R/B are about the same. The 10X35's are half as bright.
No issues at the edge with my HR5 but never used an 820? Of course with that wide a FOV I don't pay that much attention to the edge correction.

Last edited:
Well the M7's are going back to Nikon, way to much field curvature! I'll be ordering the Monarch 8X42 HG. If the M7's had a flatter field I would keep them.

Theirs 3 models of Nikon 8x30 roof that look externally similar but are different the M7, M7+ (that is basically an M7 with hg style body and a field flattener) and the hg.

Theirs 3 models of Nikon 8x30 roof that look externally similar but are different the M7, M7+ (that is basically an M7 with hg style body and a field flattener) and the hg.
I don't know what you have over there but here Just the M5, M7 and HG series. Don't need a 30mm anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back