• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjars and Woodcocks nr Minsmere (1 Viewer)

Nick French

Hi All
Coming down to Minsmere in two weeks time and looking for reliable spots for Nightjars and Woodcocks. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Nick

Hi All
Coming down to Minsmere in two weeks time and looking for reliable spots for Nightjars and Woodcocks. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Nick

For nightjars near Minsmere, try Westleton Heath, along the Westleton - Dunwich road. From Westleton drive past Minsmere turning and there is a car aprk on the left on the heath with a track going straight ahead. Walk up this track. The track goes up to the forest with a track to the right which leads to a second car park along the road.

As for woodcocks it has been many years since I've seen/heard them roding when out on a nightjar watch on any Suffok heaths. A shame as it was always great to have them a sa precursor to the nightjars.

Gi

Yes, Westleton Heath. After leaving Minsmere, just go straight on at the crossroads where you would turn right for Dunwich. Last night, after the Gull, I stopped on that road, turned off the engine, crossed my fingers nobody else was coming (they weren't), and heard two birds churring, one from each side, though distantly. Would have been about 9:30pm and they were already going.

For nightjars near Minsmere, try Westleton Heath, along the Westleton - Dunwich road. From Westleton drive past Minsmere turning and there is a car aprk on the left on the heath with a track going straight ahead. Walk up this track. The track goes up to the forest with a track to the right which leads to a second car park along the road.

Gi

Heard at least two Nightjars there this week, sometime between 10 and 11. They were accompanied by the Red Deer roaring nearby, which was a bit :eek!: in the darkness! At least the Muntjac have the courtesy to just sound like little dogs. ;)

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know the nightjars were showing very nicely Sat 21 May at the locations described. 3 churring birds heard and one pair were seen flying about just before it started to get dark close to the road. Superb views. Nightingale singing close by and earlier woodlarks in the same general area.

Hi, have you a grid reference for the car park to walk from. I'm in the area next week and just to hear a nightjar would be a treat and a first for me.

Cheers

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back