• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newport Wetlands NNR (1 Viewer)

My advice would be make sure you know where you're going, and that it's open. I arrived about 5.30pm a few weeks ago to find it closed. At least I think I was in the right place - just outside the gates of what appeared to be a large cement factory.
Thats the place Phil.You should have parked outside the gate and climbed over,I do!

Thats the place Phil.You should have parked outside the gate and climbed over,I do!

Alot of birders park outside the gate and climb over the style bit. Or i go down 'Saltmarsh lane' Which is marked on a map and that takes you up onto the reedbeds. Goldcliff is open all the time though.

A pair of Slavonian grebes on Sunday, the starlings are out about 4pm but apart from a large group at the beginning they all dropped straight into the reeds. There were a lot though, when they do display it will be spectacular.

Slav grebe is a real rarity in gwent, where on the reserve were they? Also the county recorder will also want to know, you can e-mail him at countyrecorder 'at' GwentBirds.org.uk

They were in the central strip of water, I'm not the most experienced birder - I could have misidentified. Unfortunately I'm in the market for a new telephoto - my old one is unusable. I snapped of a shot with my 90mm in the hop I could crop for identification but the light was low, it's a little blurred. Still here it is heavily cropped and sharpened obviously, but it might shed some light on matter:

slavgrebe.jpg

And the area it was in, for context, diving about 20 meters out in front of me, the other was hanging around the reeds on the left.

rspbnewport101107092.jpg

Unfortunatly the picture shows a little grebe in winter plumage. A slav would a whitish face with a black head plus a few other features. Nevermind, theres always next time.

Ah never mind! It was the yellow face that got me, pocket bird books aren't great for seasonal plumage variation.

a good book to get is the collins field guide. with the barn owl on the front. It great to keep in a rucksack.

visited the reedbeds (uskmouth) yesturday, theres loads of work going on at the moment with new veiwing screens being set up at the edge of every lagoon with a path next to it, also a large area has been sealed off to try to create a large undisturbed reedbed to encourage more species to breed on site, paths are all being resurfaced and the carpark was being tarmaced. All these improvements are happening as the visitor centre will be open to the public on the 9th March.

Its been confirmed now that the centre will be opening to the public on the 9th March, and Iolo Williams will be there to do the honours. dont know times atm.

The centre will be opening at 11:00am on the 9th March.

heres what the RSPB has on their website:

Come along and celebrate the opening of the brand new environmental education and visitor centre at Newport Wetlands. Meet special celebrity guest Iolo Williams and take a guided walk around the reserve to discover some of the wonderful wildlife that lives here. Iolo will also be signing copies of his book. Explore the centre and enjoy a latte or mocha in the brand new coffee shop

Two children’s nature walks will take place in the afternoon - the first walk from 12.30pm to 1.30pm, and the second walk from 2.30pm to 3.30pm. Booking is essential.

Shame I dropped the ball on this one, I've not visited with the new centre finished yet - soon definately. Anything interesting about recently?

theres a good variety of waders about atm at Goldcliff, which is the opposite end of the reserve to uskmouth (reedbeds). Well Worth a Visit.

Spent sunday afternoon there. What a lovely site! Firsts for us were a female Common Redpoll in the bushes and some Grey Plover on the shoreline. Also seen Oyser Catcher, Plovers, Dunlin, dozens of Shell Duck, a Marsh Harrier and Kestrel. Cuckoo only heard. We were recommended to the site by the RSPB Volunteer at Symonds Yat that morning. If you have not been, it is well worth a visit, we were staying at Gloucester and travelled about a bit. dave

looks like you saw a few good birds there! i've yet to see a marsh harrier on the reserve though in the last few days i've seen Black Winged Stilt, broad billed Sandpiper and Temmincks Stint!

Did you take a pic of the Common redpoll?? or did you mean lesser...

Apparently the visitor centre is open till 8pm on tuesdays which means the carpark is also open untill then. could be handy for a few people who might like to pop in after work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back