• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York accommodation (1 Viewer)

jascha777

Hi there,
I`m hoping to go birdng in New York city in may and
was wondering if anyone could suggest anywhere
not too expensive to stay either near central park
or prospect park.
many thanks,Mark.

Mark,

Depends what you class as not expensive - if you require en suite bathroom etc or whether you would consider a hostel.

Luke

Hi Luke
i would really like an en-suite room,there will be 2 of us sharing
and i was hoping to pay somewhere in the region of £80 a night
for the room-is this realistic?
many thanks,Mark

Manhattan you are going to be hard pressed (unless you are talking 80GBP each then you can stay in the lap of luxury!) especially getting en suite - I'll have an ask around. People who I know who visit either tend to stay at high end for the weekend or do real budget if they are birders and stay at cheapo places.

Mark,
If you can hack it, the West Side YMCA by Central Park West and 63rd St has rooms for about $100/night and the location can't be beat.( the spring migrants come into the park's west side first, coming in from the Hudson flyway, before they spread out to feed) After that, prices double or more, especially in that neighborhood. (CPW and 61rst St has the most expensive coop apartments in the city), so you might be better with a hotel in Brooklyn, near Prospect Park.

I stated at this place, a couple of blocks from Time Square, they have doubles, but I stayed in four-person dorms, costing about $US 45 or 50 per night - no complaints from me, it was clean, secure, the owners friendly and everybody had lockers. Free internet, right in the heart of Manhatten and a short walk to Central Park and five minutes to the tube station with a direct line to Jamaica Bay.

My trip report covering my birding in New York last year (in autumn, not spring) is here if interested.

Last edited:
Co-incidence

Hi people o:D
I'm also going to be in NY for a couple of days en-oute to Panama and Peru .. I'll be in NY around 12th Feb. so any info regarding hotels close to Central Park would be great ..

I'm really looking forward to it as it will be my first time to visit the Eastern part of the US B :)

book & list

Does anyone know if there's a bookstore in or near Central Park where I can buy a suitable field guide ? .. I've already got the Petersen Western Birds, but I assume that would be of little value in New York 8-P

Also, is there a bird checklist for central park somewhere on the web ?

Cheers B :)

Hi Iraq,
There are two Barnes and Noble bookstores near Central Park, at 65th St and near 79th St,
at about 1900 and 2200 Broadway. They carry some bird guides. Your Western Birds guide will do at a pinch, I lost my Eastern Guide some time ago and used the Western Guide as a good stopgap. There are excellent NYC checklists on the web. Tom Fiore used to run a daily sightings list at http://www.nycbirdreport.com/index.html Tom froze this site as of Jan 1 08, but kept the records for the last 5 years, so you can check to the day what birds should be seen in which part of NYC.

Keep and eye on the NY birding list at the moment a Scott's Oriole is frequenting Union Square Park which is a 1st state record: http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/MTRO.html Not a great deal in NYC at the moment - CP will be quiet this time of year but will give you some local 'trash birds'. I would suggest trying to get out of the city. If you want suggestions PM me and I can give you some public Transport doable trips.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back