• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to this forum and new to buying a monocular. (1 Viewer)

Sashley

United Kingdom
I would appreciate any advice/feedback re Hawke Endurance 8x42 vs Opticron WA ED-R 8x42 Monocular. Primary use will be for bird spotting at home and while out walking. Opted for monocular as it'll be easier/lightweight in pocket/rucksack.

Welcome!

Hopefully someone will be along with direct experience of those models. Do be aware though that generally monoculars are harder to use than binoculars.

Hi Sashley and a warm welcome from me too. Have a look at this thread which I started a month ago, it will have some useful information for you: Monoculars

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi and welcome.

Unfortunately I can't comment on that particular model, actually just checking it made me notice opticron replaced the model I had with the one you suggest, they look broadly similar though.

The only thing that I notice as a negative when using mine is a bit too much colour fringing round things (CA) but the model your looking at claims Ed glass so may have got rid of that to a degree.

I've got the 10x42 for off road bike tours (yorkshire dales this year, can't wait). It works very well for this use - the usual drawbacks of monoculars not withstanding.

Will

Welcome to the Forum.

I’m unfamiliar with the equipment you mention.

My only recommendation in this situation is to find a shop that isn’t too far from where you live and try before you buy.
I have only tried a monocular once and it felt fiddly to use, compared to binoculars (even compared to pocket binoculars).

If you have an RSPB reserve close by, you may find that they have a monocular to try (although it’s an RSPB branded item) so you can judge how easy it is to use.

Good Luck

Not sure of your budget, if you want a solid monocular...try the Leica 8x20. Surely the best visual on the market. jim

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back