• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New NL pure 10x32 owner (1 Viewer)

Thinking of picking up some 10x32s NLs at a good price. They'll complement my Zeiss SF 8x42s in an interesting way I hope. If I take the plunge, is the headrest a good idea? I have steady hands but haven’t had any 10x since a pair of Trinovid 10x42 many years ago. And they were fine if somewhat heavy
If you haven't had any problem before using 10x, you may not need the FHR. You can always pick one up if you do find a need. I've used 10x32s in the 20-23oz/570-650g range for over 20 years with no difficulty.

I use the Forehead rest on both my NL 10x42 and the BTX spotting scope. For the binocular I find it helps stabilize the image and am glad I got it. I've gotten in the habit of using it all the time. Some people have written they don't find it useful. One factor to consider is the binocular mass. The NL Pure 10x42 is about 850 grams while the 10x32 lists as about 650 grams. In this range of mass I find the lighter glass is less stable, so I would guess in advance that the Forehead Rest would find use for me on a 10x32 if I had one. If you can test it at a dealer, a period of maybe 15 minutes of normal viewing activity without the Forehead Rest, and 15 minutes of normal viewing with it might let you learn how it works, or not, for you.
Thank you. I think the dealer is likely to have one in the shop when I next drop by, so I'll do just that. That's very helpful.

More stability (which when I tried the various NL x42s with the forehead rest it did seem to offer) is a good thing in my book. Maybe less so if you're primarily finding birds with the unaided eye then using the binoculars to take a closer look, instead of scanning over long distances - but definitely worth a trial.

I use 10x and 12x (other brands) a lot and can use them effectively enough without the rest, but have to admit the Swarogadget does help. I'd seriously consider buying a version that'd fit my current binoculars, if only one was available. I'm surprised no one in the PRC or elsewhere has tried to produce something that can be retrofitted to other binoculars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back