• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member - Bolo from Texas Hill Country. I watch birds using a circa 1940 Hensoldt-Wetzlar Jagd-Dialyt 7 X 42 binoculars and I found there are m (1 Viewer)

Bolo

United States
I watch birds using a circa 1940 Hensoldt-Wetzlar Jagd-Dialyt 7 X 42 binoculars serial # 693354. I found there are members of the Bird Forum who have this binocular or similar. I am in search information or a users group for repair of these old binoculars. They are quite stiff to operate and adjust and need some cleaning and restoration. Some of the black pebbled surface coating is coming off of the tubes containing the lenses. Is this lacquer or some early bakelite like plastic coating? I still use them for spotting our Painted Buntings, hummingbirds and other birds and animals in our yard. Thanks in advance for help in restoring these beauties to their former condition.

Hi Bobo and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum !

I’ve moved your thread to the binocular section of the forum where you will get many more suggestions. The email you get after this post will be in the Bin section so you can just clink on the link to see it along with any other posted suggestions.

Hi Bobo and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Shining a white torch or using a white lamp are the reflections from the glass elements white or blue or light blue?

B.

Shining a white torch or using a white lamp are the reflections from the glass elements white or blue or light blue?

B.
I used a LED flashlight. The reflection from the Hensoldt-Wetzlar Jagd-Dialyt 7 X 42 binoculars serial # 693354 appears white. I shined the same light into my Bushnell "fully coated optics" 7-15x25 binoculars and the light appeared white. Thanks for your interest. My father bought these in Germany in 1946 when he was assigned there by the US Army. They have been in the family since then. I do not know if he bought the binoculars new or used, or if they were confiscated. I put these back in service just recently after many many years of non-use. The thin black external coating (plastic like coating; lacquer; ??? material)is flaking off of the metal tubes forming the body of the binoculars.

Hi Bolo,

I do not know when Hensoldt started coating binoculars.

There are lists for Zeiss serial numbers, and although Hensoldt are linked with Zeiss I don't know how complete any lists are for Hensoldt.

The Bushnell fully coated is probably 7-15x35 with coating on only the front and back surfaces. But the rear coating may have worn off.

White reflections indicate no coating or balsamed doublets with a weak white reflection.

Old optics can have natural blooming which gives light blue reflections.

I have a 16x56 Hensoldt similar but about 1955 and coated.

Also an 8x30 Hensoldt monocular.

In some ways uncoated optics are easier to repair than coated optics.

Suddarth Optical would probably quote for restoration.

Military Hensoldts in the early 1940s may have a code rather than the name Hensoldt.

Regards,
B.

bmj is I think the code for Hensoldt.

Also maybe bek

jnh uncertain.

These codes are found on binoculars, lenses and cameras.

The U.S.also had codes.
Kodak used Camerosity for dating.

Britain used TT,, UU and VV numbers amongst others.

But civilian optics may have the full names.

Regards,
B.

Hi Bolo,

I do not know when Hensoldt started coating binoculars.

There are lists for Zeiss serial numbers, and although Hensoldt are linked with Zeiss I don't know how complete any lists are for Hensoldt.

The Bushnell fully coated is probably 7-15x35 with coating on only the front and back surfaces. But the rear coating may have worn off.

White reflections indicate no coating or balsamed doublets with a weak white reflection.

Old optics can have natural blooming which gives light blue reflections.

I have a 16x56 Hensoldt similar but about 1955 and coated.

Also an 8x30 Hensoldt monocular.

In some ways uncoated optics are easier to repair than coated optics.

Suddarth Optical would probably quote for restoration.

Military Hensoldts in the early 1940s may have a code rather than the name Hensoldt.

Regards,
B.
Thank you, I really appreciate your help. I will contact Suddarth Optical

The monocular is actually 8x32 and number 8138xx.

It has a soft amber front coating plus possibly light blue.
Then strong and weak white reflections.

The eyepiece end amber and purple then white.

So even here the coatings are only on a few surfaces.

It is wide field, fairly sharp.
The view is rather dim.

Marked Hensoldt Wetzlar DIALYT 8x32.

The focus goes from minus 10 dioptres to plus 12 dioptres, but the zero has not been checked.

Pebble black finish.
Monocular is almost mint.

Regards,
B

Binastro, post 9,
Hensoldt was acquired by Zeiss in 1928 so from then on the Hensoldts were practically Zeiss binoculars. Hensoldt started production of its its Dialyt models already in 1905, the first one to my knowledge was the 6x35 Dialyt II. Production of Jagd-Dialyts began in 1936 and continued until 1943 according to Wolfgan Kind, Hensoldt collector.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back