• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Fuji X-S1..the birders choice? (1 Viewer)

I briefly played with the X-S1 in the Fuji showroom yesterday. It is bigger than the HS20 and a little heavier. Reminds me of my Nikon D90 w/18-200mm VR lens in hand though still lighterweight.

First, the EVF is superb and reason enough alone to choose this superzoom over all others now. The manual zoom lens is smoother than the HS20 AND it also has a real manual FOCUS control ring. I actually preferred manual focus over the AF, which seemed kinda wonky, in low light. It was faster and more natural/precise than other manual focus modes used in some digicams.

The gotchas that I noticed were the with the AF which seemed to have a hard time when the lens was zoomed and with the write speed to memory. The JPEG write speed and RAW particularly seems to be a problem with all Fuji's I've tried. Then again, I did not make any effort to go into the menus to see if the camera was at defaults.

Anyway, if the full-on DSLR-like size/weight and cost does not put you off, this will be the birding superzoom to own in 2012.

The gotchas that I noticed were <snip> with the write speed to memory. The JPEG write speed and RAW particularly seems to be a problem with all Fuji's I've tried.

My limited experience with Fuji cams plus the reviews of different models I have read have stated exactly the same problem. Strange that Fuji cannot get that right even with a top of the line camera (which is what I understand the X indicates).

Niels

To be fair, my impressions of the JPEG write speed were based on the camera's internal memory as I did not have a SD card with me. I recall when I used a card with new X-10 a few weeks ago the write speed improved significantly. Also, my impression was based on writing ~10 frame continuous burst which is faster than most pro-dslrs can deliver. As my reference, my 3yr+ old Canon SX1 can shoot single AF 4fps JPEG continuously until the card is filled.

I agree this camera looks good like the larger size, but note the drop to 12mp. When I can obtain a new (apart from the packaging) HS20 for £199, makes me wonder what the extra £500 will buy. Maybe wait 6 months or a year and see how much the price comes down by

Last edited:
The question with the X-S1 becomes: which camera should you start comparing it to? We usually think of superzooms as smaller than exchangeable lens cameras, but the X-S1 is only 40 g (of 920g) smaller than my GH2 + 100-300 combo (total of 962 g according to DPReview). If you choose to compare with G3 with the same lens, then the Superzoom is actually 60 g the heavier.

I do realize that you can use the superzoom cameras at the other end of the spectrum also, but if you think of it as a birding camera, then I think this is thought provoking.

Niels

maybe we should be asking what market Fuji is aiming at, one opinion I have come across is that they are targeting the entry level DSLR market

According to Fujifilm not beginners, the advertising is based around safari holidays, so basically filling the gap that Leica have attempted to fill with enhanced Panasonics?
People who don't want to lug around a bag of lenses on their safari?
Fuji again state: filling a gap in their X range of cameras.
I am not sure that they are over worried about birds (or most camera reviewers for that matter)
It will probably sell by the truckload while the blogs and correspondence columns will be filled by people explaining why they won't be buying it (again).
(N.B. I don't go on safari and I havn't pre-ordered it (yet?)

Correction - you can make out 4 birds in the X-S1 brochure - so they do have birds in mind.

Last edited:
due to be avaliable as from 7 Feb fuji cameras do seem to be like Marmite - you either love or hate them, and doubtless those dissappointed are more likely to moan than those who are happy with their purchase. I collected my HS20 today, and after a trial run with a couple of obliging blackbirds found on auto settings, the pictures were grainy when zoomed to max. with picture viewer, as someone has said elsewhere, you have to at least take control of some of the settings, those who use it simply as a P&S will be dissappointed

Last edited:
I looked at these super zooms in my search for an affordable long lens for bird shots,

setting price aside for the moment - Will these plastic extension tube super zooms ever realistically compete with a good DSLR prime?

I agree that the latest "compact" cameras are really good and competitive versus a DSLR at the shorter end and that M43 cams are good up to say under 200mm (I have an S95, G1 and EP-1) - and that small sensor technology is getting better and better.
I also have an M8 with good Leica and Zeiss glass and when I need a closer image I get very good results thru cropping, (god forbid to crop a Leica!), but isn't a crop just equivalent to all this digital zoom publicity that is now included with the usual super zoom specs.

For me, cameras are still "horses for course" for the enthusiastic AP and the Fuji X-S1 - "fit all super zoom from 24mm to 624mm then x2 up to 1248mm with an "Intelligent Digital Zoom" is just there to suck in the punters ........ OK I am sure that it produces results ........ but what results.

I like my S95 for most of what it does, the same goes for my M43 stuff and my M8 - but I will still keep my D300, (and upgrade), especially for use at the longer end and with Nikon zooms - (plus, now a Nikon prime or two when I decide I can afford them).
just my opinion - but, I still think that to get what you want you need to pay for it and getting a load of stuff in an "all signing and dancing" camera, which maybe a compromise on the IQ and the functionality that I want is not only a waste of money but also a waste of effort.

There is still a lot in the saying "buy good glass"

as I said IMHO

Last edited:
As I will be concentrating on habitat photography next year I must admit that I won't be an early adopter, however, I am very interested in seeing how good the new lens is., bearing in mind the logical progression in a year or so s time might be the same lens with a sensor using the X-Pro1 technology, removing the need for an anti-aliasing filter.

Personally after lugging an slr and everything that goes with it for nearly 50 years I am getting lazy and leaving them behind whenever possible and just taking a Pen.

Many people appreciate the design of a camera as much as its function and are prepared to pay for something that gives them pleasure to use, whether it is a Leica, Pentax 645 or top Nikon slr, others prefer to take on the mental complexities of an HS20. Its all down to individual choice and long may that continue! Anyway it isn't long to wait to find out how good this camera is in the right hands in the field.

In the mean time my X100 continues to produce excellent images, backed up by a Ricoh GRD IV (lovely camera) for macro and pocketability leaving more room for the bins etc.

I looked at these super zooms in my search for an affordable long lens for bird shots,

setting price aside for the moment - Will these plastic extension tube super zooms ever realistically compete with a good DSLR prime?

I agree that the latest "compact" cameras are really good and competitive versus a DSLR at the shorter end and that M43 cams are good up to say under 200mm (I have an S95, G1 and EP-1) - and that small sensor technology is getting better and better.
I also have an M8 with good Leica and Zeiss glass and when I need a closer image I get very good results thru cropping, (god forbid to crop a Leica!), but isn't a crop just equivalent to all this digital zoom publicity that is now included with the usual super zoom specs.

For me, cameras are still "horses for course" for the enthusiastic AP and the Fuji X-S1 - "fit all super zoom from 24mm to 624mm then x2 up to 1248mm with an "Intelligent Digital Zoom" is just there to suck in the punters ........ OK I am sure that it produces results ........ but what results.

I like my S95 for most of what it does, the same goes for my M43 stuff and my M8 - but I will still keep my D300, (and upgrade), especially for use at the longer end and with Nikon zooms - (plus, now a Nikon prime or two when I decide I can afford them).
just my opinion - but, I still think that to get what you want you need to pay for it and getting a load of stuff in an "all signing and dancing" camera, which maybe a compromise on the IQ and the functionality that I want is not only a waste of money but also a waste of effort.

There is still a lot in the saying "buy good glass"

as I said IMHO

Regarding the m43 cams you mention, if you build that opinion on the old 45-200 mm lens, then I have read several independent opinions stating that the 100-300 is sharper at the long end than the old lens is almost anywhere.

To judge for yourself, try look at my BF gallery where the last about 1-200 shots are with this lens on the GH2: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7427

I do not have a Nikon dSLR so cannot compare to that type of lens

Niels

I think the choice and variation of cameras at this moment in time is enormous. We are spoilt for choice from small portable telephone camera up to large DSLR’s.
Most people want a light portable camera that will give them extraordinary results in poor light conditions with the capacity for infinite image enlargement, unfortunately such a camera doesn’t exist.

For the vast majority of people the final outcome for their images is low resolution viewing over the Internet, or half plate sized prints from their printer. Therefore mitigating the real need to purchase expensive photographic equipment.

The choice is a compromise of expectation against reality in part dictated by available funds. Peer pressure (mainly through advertising) and a certain amount of ‘snob’ factor will also plays it part.

The best camera is the one that suits your needs; the all-in-one compacts provide adequate ease of use and cost value. This Fuji has certainly raised the bar; it is expensive, but certainly not out of kilter with the new mirror-less price costs.

The 4/3rds is a growing sector and attractive for those people who own brand lenses that fit with or without an adapter. The larger sensors look to give the more rewarding results. Clever marketing has enhanced their appeal.

DSLR sales are stagnant; in technology advancement terms we are banging our heads against the ceiling. Younger generations do not look at these cameras, they’re heavy clumsy, and not pocket portable objects of desire.

I think the choice and variation of cameras at this moment in time is enormous.

And quite cheap too.
I like my Canon SX enormously as it's so well designed - the buttons (for instance) video are just in the right place - my Fuji HS20's video button is in a stupid place.
But I've always like Fuji's low light performance and the HS20 is not only good but also very clever with it's ADV low light mode.
The Canon has a very slick smooth motorized zoom - the Fuji has a very fast manual zoom and a significantly longer reach which is actually useful.

My Nikon D70 is in a different league - instant on - for an old camera it's massively customisable and the battery lasts forever but being an interchangeable lens mirror camera it's fiddly/heavy/costs a lot.

There's no best camera just one that suits you at the moment - currently my fav is the HS20 despite it being very irritating.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back