• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New edition of Fågelguiden (Collins Bird Guide). (1 Viewer)

One small change I liked was the introduced forms of Pheasant being "thrown" in the back, with only the native form in the Caucasus remaining in the main section.
Long story short this is still THE field guide and this new edition certainly merits a purchase.
Just for clarification (not having had the opportunity to look at the 3rd edition yet), does this also apply to Golden and Lady Amherst's Pheasants? Although they look very nice from a purely aesthetic point of view, IMO they would be the most obvious choice for moving to the back if more space were needed.
Also, have the fantasy names à la "Black-throated Loon" been fixed or are they still in? Admittedly, in the first two and a half editions, the English version had fewer of those than the German one which has English names displayed below the German ones, but not always the correct ones.

Just for clarification (not having had the opportunity to look at the 3rd edition yet), does this also apply to Golden and Lady Amherst's Pheasants? Although they look very nice from a purely aesthetic point of view, IMO they would be the most obvious choice for moving to the back if more space were needed.
Also, have the fantasy names à la "Black-throated Loon" been fixed or are they still in? Admittedly, in the first two and a half editions, the English version had fewer of those than the German one which has English names displayed below the German ones, but not always the correct ones.
The pheasants are now all in the back, except for colchicus. Black-throated Loon is still in, with Arctic Diver in parenthesis.

Having worked mostly with non-feathered animals in my earlier life, I must say that I find the use of scientific naming in avians confusing: how often are the birds' scientific (and "ordinary") names changed, and on what basis?
Per

About as often as in other vertebrates, invertebrates, plants, fungi, etc, etc - sadly. Not sure what you mean by 'basis', but a major driver is promotion of the career/status of those who initiate the changes.

About as often as in other vertebrates, invertebrates, plants, fungi, etc, etc - sadly. Not sure what you mean by 'basis', but a major driver is promotion of the career/status of those who initiate the changes.
That's not a fair statement of reasons...the vast majority of taxonomic work is published in lower impact journals. If anything, taxonomic research is generally on the decline, because it is a less sexy field than other areas of biology.

The major driver is that, as we have developed more sophisticated methods of unraveling the evolution of organisms (including gene sequence can computer-aided phylogenetics), we have increasingly found that traditional arrangements of taxonomy are not accurate, either lumping unrelated species together or not properly representing the true diversity of a group in comparison to other groups of organisms. This has led to changes in taxonomy. Similiarly, further study of individual species often reveals significant differences in populations that support the recognition of splitting into multiple species.

I had noticed that some of the texts appear unidiomatic, as if strictly translated from Swedish, and was disappointed to see Loon still used in preference to Diver. Since loon is a term of reproach or mild abuse, I’m surprised some hand-wringer hasn’t taken offence.
The use of Loon over Diver might be a result of the Swedish original which refers to Birdlife Sweden's "Västpalearktislistan" (list of WP names). That list uses Loon in its English names, and those English names are included in the index of the Swedish original.

Last edited:
Third edition:

App update available now.

€10 for existing users.

Good old paperback fieldguide, dutch translation (called ANWB Vogelgids) available 31 Oktober

Third edition:

App update available now.

€10 for existing users.

Good old paperback fieldguide, dutch translation (called ANWB Vogelgids) available 31 Oktober
No update for Android devices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back