• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New APC 42 Stabilized (1 Viewer)

Thanks again for the detailed review, one thing I forgot to ask. Is the exit pupil round? The objectiv is specified as 42 mm, but it looks a bit cut on one side.

Thomas
It looks round to me. No truncation which would indicate undersize prisms. From the close spaced objective lenses I would suspect it is a reverse porro design, but I am not sure.

If the exit pupils are round then this binocular could be only 16x36 if the central parts of the objectives are used.

If the off axis parts are used it could be 16x39.

Perhaps someone could measure the exit pupils with the IS off and the IS on.

If this binocular is only 16x36 it may explain the low weight.

Regards,
B.

The exit pupils are D-shaped. Truncated at the center side. The effective aperture is less than 42 mm, but I'd have to take another look to give a more precise reading.

- Kimmo

There is a Video review today by BBR of the Kite 16x42 IS about 16 minutes long.

He claims that the Kite has larger objectives than the Fujinon 14x40.
Possibly not.
He doesn't mention the objectives cut off of the Kite.

He lists values as so many dollars per degree of stabilization.
For me this not very useful.

He does not mention a glare problem, which the Kite may have.

The Canon 18x50 and 10x42 are excellent regarding flare and glare.

I see elsewhere a Sig Sauer? 16x42, which look like the Kite, but probably at a silly price.

Regards,
B.

There is a Video review today by BBR of the Kite 16x42 IS about 16 minutes long.

Possibly not.

I see elsewhere a Sig Sauer? 16x42, which look like the Kite, but probably at a silly price.

Regards,
B.
Hi B.,
You are correct, the Zulu 6 16x42 (pic attached) looks rather similar to the Kite 16x42, but the price of the SigSauer is lower not higher: 699$ at OpticsPlanet.
Peter

Attachments

• 433ebc8be852aaec58aa780296eda31d0e69d6f9_800x800.jpg
    433ebc8be852aaec58aa780296eda31d0e69d6f9_800x800.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 20

Possibly not.

Regards,
B.
Thanks for mentioning the Sig Sauer, I have never heard from them.

They show photos, at least it looks like real photos.

The exit pupil looks pretty round, and measuring its diamter and combining it with two of the other photos and the specs I get 2.65 mm, that would mean 42 mm objetive lens. The image stabilization unit looks quite similar as the von from the new generation Vixen, Fuji, Kenko, but this did not got good ratings from Canip.
Anyhow, the Zulu 6 looks interesting, also very lightweight, only 560 g.

Regards

Thomas

Eurooptic and Scopelist are listing the Zulu 6 for $560. Available for backorder.

I would avoid the Zulu 6. It is another Kamakura Clone of the Kite 16x42 APC Stabilizer. I had trouble with my Kite 16x42 APC Stabilizer binoculars in the first couple of weeks. The stabilizer started malfunctioning. Also, the binocular has considerable glare problems. I returned mine and I don't think I would buy another. I also had a hair inside the objective lens on the Kite Lynx HD + 10x50 I purchased, so I question the quality control of the Kites based on my two samples.

................. I had trouble with my Kite 16x42 APC Stabilizer binoculars in the first couple of weeks. The stabilizer started malfunctioning. Also, the binocular has considerable glare problems. I returned mine and I don't think I would buy another...............

WHAT-after all the positive posts ???
I almost got one based on your reviews.

😣

One should always wait after glowing reviews of the newest, greatest binocular.

At least a month until the truth emerges.

Or at least for a second independent opinion, where the hidden problems emerge.

My 20 year old Canon 18x50 IS despite problems with colour prism artifacts etc. still outperforms all hand held binoculars except the Zeiss 20x60S.

Regards,
B

Looking back for some further info, wasn’t there another thread with hands-on feedback on these 42mm Kite APC/stabilised binoculars here, or was it wrongly labelled to another subforum? It had some posts from the last weeks and I replied to it one or two times I think, but I cannot find it anymore.
Does anyone know where it is or went?

Looking back for some further info, wasn’t there another thread with hands-on feedback on these 42mm Kite APC/stabilised binoculars here, or was it wrongly labelled to another subforum? It had some posts from the last weeks and I replied to it one or two times I think, but I cannot find it anymore.
Does anyone know where it is or went?
yes, I had the same impresssion, someone was very enthusistiacally reporting on his experience with the16x42, but also a comment that somebody was not happy with it and send it back.

There was a thread about the 16x42 started by someone from Belgium (GUY), which apparently has been deleted by the moderators. Maybe GUY, who was very enthusiatic about the 16x42, had some association with Kite? Anyway GUY (assuming that was his alias) does not seem to be a member of the BF any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back