• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 42x and 50x Fuji Superzooms out March 2013 (1 Viewer)

my comment was not just due to this thread. On another re critique received the following "the EXIF data shows you couldn't have used a 400mm lens, but a 50mm" (how many birders shoot at 50mm?), likewise OP asks "are dog walkers a threat to biodiversity", I was not the only one to feel exasperation, in the end I posted " It appears all the OP is interested in is a reinforcement of his or her own opinion". So when the above apperaed, my reaction was "Here we go again..."

Fuji announced release of the HS50 and a promotional video in January, as noone else has actually seen the camera until its release all the info.I could find seemed to be a reworking of this material. The owners manual is avaliable here http://www.fujifilm.eu/uploads/tx_fujifilmproducts/downloads/HS50EXR_manuals_01.pdf
Which answers my questions. I can only see 2 references to 8mp max. resolution - the intelligent digital zoom and that the camera will shoot at a constant rate of 2fps until the memory card is full.

to summarise my issues with the HS20.
1. Only 8mp in EXR. 2. Overall feels too small (personal opinion) 3, tiny viewfinder
HS50 addresses all of these issues.

when I tried it, I was very impressed. Start up time immediate. I did some test shots at 1000mm in dull weather, and while not quite 0.5sec autofocus, this is the first camera/lens that actually will AF in such conditions that I can contemplate buying.

On the other thread, the rear end crop of the goldcrest looks impressive. I think the HS50 will bring affordable action photography to a new level. Wonder how it will cope with BIF, since my sigma 170 - 500 keeps hunting, even in good light, failed to focus several times

Hi kenneth , good to see you back.:t:

I hope that you will monitor the other thread that I started on the HS50 and contribute when you can.

I am simply blown away by the speed of the shutter release and the auto focus on the HS50. it is extraordinarily fast.

Like your Sigma , my Fuji HS10 would also 'hunt' to aquire focus when trying to focus on birds or small things in foliage or close to other larger objects.

It seems Fuji have addressed this on the HS50 by using a considerably smaller centre focus area. My HS50 focused instantly on small twigs and seed feeders etc at 10 feet through db gazing at max zoom .

So much so that I was able to bang off 9x shots in 3x seconds,( as fast as I could press and release the shutter release button ) in low light , all perfectly in focus.!

A fairly superficial review of the HS50 has just appeared here. Obviously need to wait until someone posts some images relevant to birding conditions. But, surprise, surprise (not), seems the incredible autofocus performance the PR talks up may not be at all impressive at long focal lengths. Image quality perhaps short of the Canon SX50 too. I'm wanting to replace my FZ45 for this summer, and am torn between the FZ200 and the SX50. Definitely leaning leaning to the latter, mainly because there are many good images in the SX50 thread on BF, but still don't know if the HS50 is a third contender or not!

This review didn't seem too glowing at all. I know that traditionally superzoom focusing /tracking, picking birds out of complex backgrounds, at the long tele end hasn't been too flash. However this is what I need. Majority of distances will be 50 -200ft, so the luxuries of this <50ft garden stuff will be less often used. Thus, any augmented zoom performance /IQ, will be important. As a walkaround woodland camera, things like start up time, and lack of screen freeze /camera lock up are also important. Murphy's Law will dictate either searing summer midday contrast, or dark gloomy thickets, and other late afternoon low light scenarios, or fast moving lbj's. It might be asking a lot from a bridge, but I have 3 for consideration:

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR - offers phase detect focus, manual zoom, f5.6 1000mm tele, RAW, 920K screens, 1080p vid @60fps
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS - offers 1200mm, RAW, only 1080p vid @24fps, 460K screens, but pretty impressive IQ from what we've seen
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 - offers high spec Zeiss 1200mm optics, optical viewfinder, (no RAW?) 920K screen, 1080p vid @60fps

The only one I've had in my hands is the Canon, which didn't thrill me with it's fit to large hands - it is however significantly cheapest of the 3.

We'll have to see how in-field performance pans out to see whether one can make a compelling series of arguments over the others. I did have high hopes for the Fuji.

Chosun :gh:

have you looked at the images of the fence and chair in this thread ?
They were taken at 1036mm max zoom at ISO400 in low light. There is a 100% view or 800% crop as well.

I'm not sure what kind of bird image you imagine you are going to get at nearly 200 feet ?:eek!:

You'd have to crop it like mad to even see a bird .

Comparing Image quality of a bird at 200 feet at 1000mm is going to be pretty academic at that distance..... frankly its going to be pixelated whatever camera you use. ;)

The SX50 may have more reach ie 50x zoom 1200mm but hand held at full focal length the image of a bird is going to be even more degraded due to camera shake . No IS can compensate for that amount of movement.

The SX50 has been in the shops for over half a year now. How come you haven't bought one yet or at least tried one out ?

Last edited:
This review didn't seem too glowing at all. I know that traditionally superzoom focusing /tracking, picking birds out of complex backgrounds, at the long tele end hasn't been too flash. However this is what I need. Majority of distances will be 50 -200ft, so the luxuries of this <50ft garden stuff will be less often used. Thus, any augmented zoom performance /IQ, will be important. As a walkaround woodland camera, things like start up time, and lack of screen freeze /camera lock up are also important. Murphy's Law will dictate either searing summer midday contrast, or dark gloomy thickets, and other late afternoon low light scenarios, or fast moving lbj's. It might be asking a lot from a bridge, but I have 3 for consideration:

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR - offers phase detect focus, manual zoom, f5.6 1000mm tele, RAW, 920K screens, 1080p vid @60fps
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS - offers 1200mm, RAW, only 1080p vid @24fps, 460K screens, but pretty impressive IQ from what we've seen
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 - offers high spec Zeiss 1200mm optics, optical viewfinder, (no RAW?) 920K screen, 1080p vid @60fps

The only one I've had in my hands is the Canon, which didn't thrill me with it's fit to large hands - it is however significantly cheapest of the 3.

We'll have to see how in-field performance pans out to see whether one can make a compelling series of arguments over the others. I did have high hopes for the Fuji.

Correct me if I am wrong but HX300 doesn't have OVF but EVF only. And just so it is clear, it doesn't have manual zoom either. That zoom ring will only drive the motorized zoom lens. Another way than twitching that tiny button on all motorized superzoom cameras.

All aces are on the HS50 except for smoother zooming experience while video recording (if that is important to you). =D

have you looked at the images of the fence and chair in this thread ?
They were taken at 1036mm max zoom at ISO400 in low light. There is a 100% view or 800% crop as well.

I'm not sure what kind of bird image you imagine you are going to get at nearly 200 feet ?:eek!:

You'd have to crop it like mad to even see a bird .

Comparing Image quality of a bird at 200 feet at 1000mm is going to be pretty academic at that distance..... frankly its going to be pixelated whatever camera you use. ;)

The SX50 may have more reach ie 50x zoom 1200mm but hand held at full focal length the image of a bird is going to be even more degraded due to camera shake . No IS can compensate for that amount of movement.

The SX50 has been in the shops for over half a year now. How come you haven't bought one yet or at least tried one out ?

=> I did look at those images. The images being displayed on the SX50 thread though, are quite stunning, although granted a lot of those are in good light, and fairly close distances.

=> Wedge-tailed Eagles?! |:p| More realistically, something half that size - Little Eagles, Spotted Harriers (5ft wingspan). I've got reasonably high hopes for the 1/2" sensor + phase detect. Wondering about any 2x interpretative zoom performance of the Fuji. Some of the 1.5 -2x stuff of the Canon looks pretty good.

=> I've been outback. I only just hit the bigger smoke early this year. Long enough to get a handle on the SX50 (for which my thumb is all over several buttons - it just didn't feel immediately Wow). Price has dropped over the last fortnight too - maybe in response to the competition.

Correct me if I am wrong but HX300 doesn't have OVF but EVF only. And just so it is clear, it doesn't have manual zoom either. That zoom ring will only drive the motorized zoom lens. Another way than twitching that tiny button on all motorized superzoom cameras.

All aces are on the HS50 except for smoother zooming experience while video recording (if that is important to you). =D

Not entirely sure - I was just going by the very thin info on dpr that I had up at that moment (over data allowance throttling is kind of limiting at the moment). It says "Viewfinder type = Optical (tunnel)"

I realise the Sony doesn't have manual zoom. That's one of the big attractions of the Fuji, as on a wander, I might want to snap anything from a wide angle landscape to a skulking hawk at distance - swapping in the blink of an eye - all without waiting an eternity, or chewing up heaps of battery life.

The main thing will be snapping BIF raptors that visit infrequently, ones at a distance, other (like parrots) perched birds mostly in canopy, and the ability to track, and fish them out of complex backgrounds - tall order for a bridge I know - but for that casual walk around with bins, they're the only option weight wise. Vid will be nice, but the smooth zooming part not primary.

It will all rest on the AF, & IQ. I can't see anything else on the roadmap horizon thats likely to trump?

chosun I don't mean to be rude mate but this is a Fuji forum and this thread is specifically about the Fujifilm Finepix HS50 .
it is intended to be a reference source for all things Fuji HS50.:t:

It is not about the Sony or Canon or any other camera including any of the Fuji range .

What i do not want is for this thread to start degenerating into a stupid childish slanging match, like it has for the past month on dpreview forum. You've been there and seen it so you know what I'm talking about:C

If you want information about the Fuji HS50 then hopefully this thread will eventually supply it as other owners hopefully contribute.

if you want to discuss the merits of the SX50 or any other camera or wish to make comparisons between different makes of camera please be good enough to start your own thread in the appropriate forum and not hyjack this one. ;)

No worries sport! I'll just toddle off then - 'bout time for another walk about anyway ....

You've got the gist of the type of answers I'm looking for out of the Fuji - see if you can be a good chap and try and put a few of those things to the test. Jolly good.

I'll keep an eye out for any reports you'll make (or others users on the threads) of that nature (it'd be awfully nice if you do, to make a title for the post so that I can pick it up in a quick scan) and /or photos taken along those lines. Cheerio!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back