• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Netherlands in June (1 Viewer)

sawwhet

My wife and I are traveling the Netherlands June 1-9 to birdwatch. we are very interested in seeing Whitetail Sea Eagles (although we know it will be rare to do so at that time of year) along with everything else possible. Please let us know what your favorite locations are at that time of year.

sawwhet said:
My wife and I are traveling the Netherlands June 1-9 to birdwatch. we are very interested in seeing Whitetail Sea Eagles (although we know it will be rare to do so at that time of year) along with everything else possible. Please let us know what your favorite locations are at that time of year.

Dear sir,

The best location for White-tailed Eagles in june are the Oostvaardersplassen, in the Flevopolder between the cities Almere and Lelystad. The Flevopolder is some 20 kilometers north-east of the capital Amsterdam, the Oostvaardersplassen are some 50 kilometers from Amsterdam.

A pair of White-tailed Eagles is breeding in the Oostvaardersplassen for the second consecutive year; last year they reared one young.

They are present all-year round. Best sites to watch them are the southwest and southeast side, on the east side there is a visitor's centre located on the Knardijk. It is recommended to inform there for the exact locations Jan van de Boschpad, Grote en Kleine Praambult.

I hope you and your wife will enjoy your stay and wish you good birding,

Greetings, Ronald

I recommend you to get "Where to Watch Birds in Holland, Belgium & Northern France" to find out how to reach specific locations, although it may be hard to get. In the beginning of June, up to 150 species should be possible.
The Oostvaardersplassen are your only chance for White-tailed Sea-Eagle, but expect them to be two miles off at least! However, the fringes of the reserve are overrun with birders, who will help you locate it. Other interesting birds possible include Eurasian Spoonbill, Bearded Reedling, Bluethroat and Penduline Tit.
Interesting places at that time of year are:
- relict lowland peat marshes (Purple Heron, Savi's Warbler, and possibly Great Reed-Warbler): Nieuwkoopse Plassen, Naardermeer and Zouweboezem.
- late migrant waders are possible at the Lauwersmeer in the north of the country (Ezumakeeg is the best spot to try).
- the island of Texel (Spoonbill, breeding waders, terns, Eider, Common Nightingale)
- the southwestern estuaries (breeding waders, terns)
- various moorland areas, especially in the northeast of the country (Red-backed Shrike at the Bargerveen, the (still) only Dutch breeding Common Crane at the Fochteloërveen, Black Grouse possible at the Holterberg)
For Limburg in the southeast (e.g. breeding Eurasian Eagle Owl and Middle Spotted Woodpecker), June is not the easiest month.
European Nightjar is possible in many locations in the south and east, but local knowledge is helpful.
If you'd like more detailed information, send me a pm and I'll see what I can do!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back