• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nerja in November (2 Viewers)

Caza66

I have the chance of a holiday in Nerja at the end of November. Can anybody offer any birding spots that we can get to on public transport Within the area?

many thanks

Hi Caza and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff and moderators.

We stayed on the road past Frigiliana a few years back. Different time of the year unfortunately- June. Was good for Golden Orioles, Black Kites, Woodchat Shrikes etc. at that time. Lovely Tapas in Nerja as well.

Rich

I have the chance of a holiday in Nerja at the end of November. Can anybody offer any birding spots that we can get to on public transport Within the area?

many thanks
Hi there! The most accesible birding site nearby is probably the track that goes up the Cueva de Nerja towards the mountain high passes. It' s a wonderful place with plenty of scrub and woodland birdlife.

We stayed on the road past Frigiliana a few years back. Different time of the year unfortunately- June. Was good for Golden Orioles, Black Kites, Woodchat Shrikes etc. at that time. Lovely Tapas in Nerja as well.

Rich
Thanks, I think we can get a bus there.

Rich

Off topic but there is a proper tapas with your beer bar in nerja. The rotunda or something similar that is absolutely amazing.

Nerja gets a weekend in James lowens 52 European wildlife weekends. I think it’s mainly about chameleons and ibex but I’ll dig it out later

Edit. Redondo

Last edited:
The track mentioned by Alvaro (and appearing on Google maps) will take you all the way to the top of the hills behind Nerja if you have time to get there. The higher reaches have birds like Bonellis and golden eagles and alpine accentors.
Closer to Nerja the area between Maro and the sea is not unpleasant.

The track mentioned by Alvaro (and appearing on Google maps) will take you all the way to the top of the hills behind Nerja if you have time to get there. The higher reaches have birds like Bonellis and golden eagles and alpine accentors.
Closer to Nerja the area between Maro and the sea is not unpleasant.
Thanks, I’ll have a look. Is it tough going?

Just up the coast to the west is the resort of Torox. There is a dry river bed here worth exploring and the road up into the hills to old Torox village were quite productive too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back