• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with two AZ bird IDs (1 Viewer)

merryslug

I'm not familiar yet with wstern US birds, and could use some serious help!

I was in AZ this spring and found quite a bit, including these two birds that I can't ID yet. I realize there's not a lot to go on, but any help is appreciated.

Bird #1:
Saw this one at Boyce Thompson arboretum outside Pheonix.

Attachments

• Bird 1 AZ 1.jpg
    Bird 1 AZ 1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Bird 1 AZ 2.jpg
    Bird 1 AZ 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Bird 1 AZ 3.jpg
    Bird 1 AZ 3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Bird #2

Bird #2:

Saw this one on a trail just below the Mongollan Rim. Not a lot to go on, I know...

Attachments

• Bird 2 AZ 2.jpg
    Bird 2 AZ 2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Bird 2 AZ 1.jpg
    Bird 2 AZ 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 181
I actually see quite a few yellow variant house finches in my area. See a number of orange variant also.

Having looked again, I'll stick with the original ID for both birds, meaning the second bird is an adult male Western Bluebird.

It's a really odd pose with odd lighting, but everything fits for Western Bluebird. The bill is far too long for a blackbird or cowbird and rules both out. The head is small, the body shape good for a bluebird. The pale coloration is red/orange, right for Western Bluebird, and is concentrated on the upper breast and neck, which fits Western Bluebird but not a blackbird or cowbird. The rest of the head and body appears blueish.

I don't think there's any other bird it could be.

Hey Rich,

Just a quickie from an old Leicester 'boy', your link, the signature bit to your impressive Fun Birding Tours doesn't actually work ;)

Keep up the excellent work, see you soon.

Best

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back