• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Poland (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

I'm off to Poland in a week and a half. Anyone been this spring and got any useful gen? Particularly keen to know if the great snipe have been leking at Biebrza as I know that there has been at least one year when they haven't. Anyone had any luck with w backed woodpeckers?

Steve

Was out there over May Day bank holiday - there had been up to 3 Great Snipe at the usual site near Barwik in Biebrza, but we had no luck at all the night I was there - no calls, no sightings.

Several Aquatic Warblers on the boardwalk trail, lots of White-winged Black Terns, sightings of Montagu's Harriers, Common Crane, Savi's Warbler. Lesser Spotted Eagle seen south of Zajki.

Brief visit to Bialowieza produced Pygmy Owl, Collared Flycatcher, Black Woodpecker. Three-toed and White-backed Woodpecker both heard but not tracked down. Hazelhen also heard in Wysokie Bagno reserve in SE on forest, but sadly not seen either.

At the beginning of May I was in Biebrza National Park, and I also didn't observe great snipes in Barwik, but few people saw them in Mścichy (closer to village than to tower).

Few hours looking at the sky and meadows in Kapice is almost 100% sure both spotted eagles. There is also good place for white-backed woodpecker - path along 'Canal Kapicki'. I saw there female.

The best places for tree-toed woodpecker are forests near Bialowieza and Knyszyn (there is small sanctuary).

If you want to know sth more, just ask.

Met up with a local birder who took me to a nest. His name was Przamek (I think that's how it's spelled - it's pronounced Pjamek with a soft "j"), and the site was in the SE of the park in the Wysokie Bagno reserve area, but I couldn't be more specific on directions. Przamek lives in Bialowieza village, so may be worth asking around to see if you can find him - very nice guy and a good birder.

Photographed 13.05.07 in the forest. Have a good trip. A few details and up to date sightings can be viewed at www.clanga.com
Jono

Attachments

• P1599.jpg
    P1599.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Hi there,
A few friends and I returned from NE Poland on Sunday, and we managed most of the species to which you refer. However, in the case of some of them, we were shown nest holes by local guides (who we met over there), and I am not sure if it would be appropriate to mention these online. However, I will try to get the contact details of these guides for you.
Our group had White-backed Woodpecker at Budy Bridge (I got untickable views in flight) and a pair in the 'strict reserve' at Bialowieza (found by pure chance due to hearing a 'kick' call that differed from that of Great Spotted: we had no nest sites for this species).
There would appear to be no Great Snipe at Biebrza this year: we spent one evening at Barwik for other reasons, and the best we managed were single Black and Middle Spotted Woodpeckers, Montagu's Harrier etc.
River Warblers and Common Rosefinches were in in numbers, and Marsh Warblers were starting to return (I assume that the fact that we saw so few was more to do with them just starting to arrive than the species being scarce in Poland?).
We had good views of Aquatic Warbler from the boardwalk, as mentioned above.
Regards,
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back