• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Photographed (11 Viewers)

Cheers. I'll remove.

To be honest, I think alternative names in the spreadsheet just cause a pain in sorting things out. Another plea for IOC names in addition. Just a personal view...

All the best

Paul
There is a difference between Alternative names and proposed split names. Alternative names cover things like Bearded Tit - Bearded Reedling.

Then there's all the Myna's / Starlings

If someone looks for a Bearded Tit they can't find it if it was entered as a Bearded Reedling. There's also the Diver/Loon, Skua/Jaeger. Not everyone who plays here (and may in future) knows about these.

And there's loads more of course.

There is a difference between Alternative names and proposed split names. Alternative names cover things like Bearded Tit - Bearded Reedling.

Then there's all the Myna's / Starlings

If someone looks for a Bearded Tit they can't find it if it was entered as a Bearded Reedling. There's also the Diver/Loon, Skua/Jaeger. Not everyone who plays here (and may in future) knows about these.

And there's loads more of course.

About 5% of birds on here have names that are not the IOC names and yet the IOC names are not normally listed as alternatives on the spreadsheet in most cases so alternatives are far from comprehensive. Indeed, alternative names can never be comprehensive.

I understand that we are using IOC taxonomy so why not IOC names so you can always find your species on the spreadsheet to check whether it has been played before?

In addition, if you then need to re-number to remove erroneous duplicates a few hundred species later, the fact that the numbering is not always consecutive rows makes correcting it a nightmare.

I am at around 1,050 checking against an IOC list.

Just a perspective. Having started it, I am now at the stage of thinking I am mad but did want to get to the end...

As I say, if the list simply had IOC names then someone could always check their species IOC name against the spreadsheet single entry and have a definitive answer rather than an unknown proportion of alternatives....

Just a perspective.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Any way, having regretted starting it, I have now finished. I believe that 1,223 species have been played on an IOC basis and the IOC vernacular and scientific names are as attached both as played & in taxonomic order.

I have updated the shared spreadsheet to 1,223 species. Apologies for any errors.

I attach prints as I could not work out how to attach my reconciled Excel spreadsheets.

Underlying spreadsheet kindly provided by Steve Lister.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Birdforum Photo List Print.pdf
    408.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Birdforum Photo List Taxonomic Print.pdf
    405.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
1225. Guatemalan Pygmy Owl (IOC) Northern Pygmy-Owl (Guatemalan) Clements
This was along the road as we traveled in Alta Verapaz, GT. I called it Central American Pygmy Owl, but was corrected; it's the Guatemalan race of Northen Pygmy Owl per Clements, split per IOC, so I can add it here.

Attachments

• Central American Pygmy-Owl DSCN5173.JPG
    Central American Pygmy-Owl DSCN5173.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 1
These are "the rules" as it were....

This is an idea I had, basically a copy of name a bird you've seen, but instead you have to have photographed it, and you need to post the photo when you name it.

We'll go with similar rules to the name a bird you've seen thread.

1. You have to have seen and photographed the bird - any photo's must be your own.
2. You cannot repeat a bird that someone else has already named.
3. You are allowed to make 3 wrong entries, after the 3rd you must sit out for the next 10 birds
4. You can't post two bird in a row (after yourself)
5. At least to start off with, try and link the bird you post with the previous bird
6. Add your photo as an attached file rather than in post as this should make each post slightly smaller, so slightly less scrolling!

Below is a link to a spreadsheet which will hold all the birds named (if this goes as well as the name a bird you've seen thread we will need one!) If anyone wants to help keep it updated LMK.

Good Luck!

I can see a connection between poorwills/nighthawks/nightjars and Owls as nightbirds.

Another owl for me.....

1230. Boreal/Tengmalm's Owl Aegolius funereus (IOC) Finland & Shetland Isles, Scotland.

Just lost an hour's sleep due to the clocks changing so I should call it a day.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 106 Tengmalm's Owl (adult).jpg
    106 Tengmalm's Owl (adult).jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2019 Tengmalm's Owl.jpg
    2019 Tengmalm's Owl.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
These are "the rules" as it were....

I can see a connection between poorwills/nighthawks/nightjars and Owls as nightbirds.

Another owl for me.....

1230. Boreal/Tengmalm's Owl Aegolius funereus (IOC) Finland & Shetland Isles, Scotland.

Just lost an hour's sleep due to the clocks changing so I should call it a day.

All the best

Paul
1231. Great Gray Owl, Yosemite NP California

Attachments

• DSC02336.JPG
    DSC02336.JPG
    13.8 MB · Views: 2
As to IOC versus Clements, I don't use IOC and don't know the IOC names. So expecting me (and other North American birders) to check whether there is a different name for every bird we post here is not really practical.

Sorry.

Yep. God only knows why they call it that.
I can only hope it isn't as culinary as it sounds. ;) I remember visting a museum in the Bay of Islands, NZ. There was a reference to Little Blue Penguins being called "Sweet Birds" by the Maori. I thought how "sweet" that was until it became clear that meant 'sweet' as in tasty. Poor little Budgies probably got their name from 'Betcherrygah', Aboriginal for "good bird", 'good' didn't mean well behaved.

Did a little more homework. The name was coined by a French ornithologist in the 1700's. Cordon bleu literally means "blue cord", but colloquially can be thought of as "blue ribbon." It apparently simply refers to their beautiful blue color.

The food wasn't invented until the mid-twentieth century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back