• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Local Patch (1 Viewer)

TorchBCT

My local patch is the town of Trinidad, TX, USA. It is a small town (pop 1091) and comprises about 15 square miles. The major problem being a lack of water. We are over 200 miles away from the coast. I have seen 71 species of birds there all over the 1st year. Highlights include-White Ibis, Roseate Spoonbil, Northern Harrier, Semipalmated Sandpiper, and Wood Stork.

1091 people in a town 15 square miles thats a lot of living space. Sounds like there is plenty of room for birds. If no water where do the water birds appear.

15 square miles includes all the town, most people are concentrated into a 5 sq. mile area. I only have access to about 6 sq. miles of land. All of the shorebirds were seen at a stock pond and the surrounding fields.

Water is the key to a varied local patch list. Even if there is little evidence of migration, whatever is about will at times deign to drop in. Sometimes for very short visits or just overflying. This includes passerines, raptors as well as shorebirds. Sounds like you are onto a good spot. Good Luck John.

Latest highlights include a beautiful Red-shouldered Hawk, a huge flock of American White Pelicans, and several types of egret.
Local patch yearlist total is 59, local patch lifelist is 71.

It's been quite a while since I updated this so latest birds:
Crested Caracara
Bald Eagle
House Wren
Greater Yellowlegs
Ruddy Duck

LP lifelist- 87

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back