• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My list so far (1 Viewer)

Harry,
It's amazing how 'common' birds can be incredibly scarce in some parts of these islands. I suspect that because we are in the far West we are at the extreme limits of some species normal range, and outside the main migration route of other species. We are missing such species as Twite and others including Grey Partridge, Corn Bunting, Willow Tit and Hawfinch are incredibly scarce. migrant waders on the whole pass up the East side of the country and as a result species like Curlew Sandpiper and Little -ringed Plover can also be frustratingly difficult to see in some years.

My Cornish list is currently 329 and includes some cracking American passerines such as Red-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireo, Northern Parula and Veery, but I've noticed in the past few years that other areas such as Iceland and the Scottish islands seem to be getting more and more American birds whereas we are getting fewer and fewer. The Autumn weather systems all seem to veer to the north of Great Britain instead of passing over us - an instance of global warming perhaps?

Hi Darrell,
It would be a shame if we stopped getting American passerines,but if it were just a case of the systems working their way north over time one would surely have expected S.Ireland to have had a period as good as the 80's on Scilly??
Also,after a few poor years here 2000 was good(Blue-winged,5 REV's,2 RB Grosbeaks,1 Blackpoll:managed to get first 2 sp.)
The very end of Oct.99 was good as well(our first 5 Chimney Swifts and 1st Common Nighthawk,also 3rd Swainson's,but regrettably none of these stayed too long,and I didn't see any of them)
Early Oct 01 saw 2 Yellow-rumpeds(both on offshore islands during a period when boats couldn't sail due to adverse weather),our 1st Baltimore Oriole(which was very elusive and only 20 people saw.....but I was one of them!!) and a Swainson's that was suppressed by visiting British birders.
Last year we had..................NOTHING!!!
This year will be better.
Do you do much seawatching in Cornwall?If so,do you have the "Holy Grail" of seawatching yet?I don't,but will get one some day.......
Harry

Harry,

I suppose that I've been comparing what we've been getting recently with what we had in the 80's and whilst the totals are comparable, the species variation doesn't seem to be anything like as many for American passerines. 1999 was a very good year on mainland Cornwall with 3 Chimney Swift (1 on my local patch) Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a Veery. 2000 saw Yellow - billed Cuckoo and 4 Red-eyed Vireo. 2001 2 Red-eyed Vireo. 2002 Nothing - (except a claimed Catharus) The 'classic year' of 1985 saw Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Gray-cheeked Thrush, 3 Red-eyed Vireo Northern Parula and Wilson's Warbler (on the same local patch as the 99 Chimney Swift)
As you say "this year will be better"
I do lots of Seawatching in Cornwall - I'm a St Ives regular with regular forays to Porthgwarra and, if forced, Pendeen (the views are so much worse and pasties are harder to come by!) The Holy Grail to me would be Little Shearwater. I've seen them in the Bay of Biscay and also on Tenerife and I reckon I'd be pretty confident if I saw one in Cornwall. Unfortunately neither I nor any of the regulars have seen anything that remotely resembles Little Shearwater passing by - Maybe one day!

Here's to a Pterodroma this August!!

Darrell

Hello again
This morning I went to the lake where I saw those 4 Hooded Mergansers 3 weeks ago. Most of the lake is frozen, but there is one unfrozen spot and there I saw among several Mallards and Canada Goose (Or Geese? Which one should be used?), 1 male Bufflehead, 1 male Wood Duck, and a male and female Hooded Merganser. The Bufflehead and Wood Duck were my first ones of 2003, and at the other end of lake I saw a Red-shouldered Hawk sitting on a branch. That was another years first. My year list is now 33.
Marcus

Hi Harry,
How many Fea's have there been in Ireland? They're annual over here now - I've not seen one (2001 Scillonian pelagic was the one I missed) but I'm pretty confident that one of these days!!!!

Famous last words

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
I don't know off hand how many Fea's(or Fea's/Zino's,as they are officially listed in the IRBC checklist!)have been seen here,but there must be almost 20 by now??
Annual here as well,and I also feel confident that I'll get one some day(hopefully this year).The closest that I've come to one was one being found off Cape Clear while I was seawatching from Galley Head(near Clonakilty and E of Cape,it probably didn't pass us while we were there....)
The increase of this species intrigues me:it's obviously a real increase and not due to increased observer numbers(a lot of seawatching was done off Cape since at least the 60's and optics/ID criteria were good enough from the late 70's for such a distinctive bird to be picked up(if not called as Fea's))
Is the population increasing(due to protection),are the feeding areas changing(due to global warming)or is the species about to spread north????(or all of the above!)
Anyone that I know who has seen one says that they are something special!Have you ever seen video footage of one?I haven't,but would like to do so while I'm waiting to see one "in the flesh".My local patch(Old Head of Kinsale)has had 3 of them since 89:this is all the more amazing if you consider that there was no access to the tip for many years in the mid/late 90's,and birders have only really started seawatching there again in the last 2-3 years!
Harry

Harry,

I've not seen video footage, but I have had the full description - chapter and verse. My birding pals found the bird on the Scillonian and they tell me about it at every opportunity.

We are finding new places to watch in Cornwall all the time. Recently we have discovered that Cape Cornwall can be good, previously it was thought that most birds would be heading out to sea from this site, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Trevose Head and Pentire Point have also proved successful watchpoints, and with more observers would undoubtedly produce more. Just across the border is Hartland Point, but as it's in Devon (or England as the locals call it) we don't go there much. As for my 'secret site' I go to Downderry on the South Cornish coast. A few Shearwaters, Petrels and Skuas go by - but I get to sit in Steve Madge's living room in the dry looking out of his window. How's that for taking it easy?

Hi Darrell,
Would be nice to get Fea's from Steve's living room,very comfortable way of ticking it!!
I'll persevere at the Old Head,also planning on going to the Bridges of Ross at least once(different mix of species over there,also Little Shearwater has been seen there more often than at any other site here)
Harry
P.S.Amazing how stuff like Black-throated Thrush occurs frequently enough in Cornwall(or at least on Scilly),yet has never made it over here yet!

Hi Harry,

Fea's from the window would cause one hell of a celebration! There was a Black-browed Albatross off his place a couple of years ago. We missed it of course. It was found by a fisherman flying around his boat. The first we heard about it was when we saw a photograph of it in the Daily Mirror!!!!

I too am amazed by the amount of rarities found elsewhere but not here. You mention Black-throated Thrush which has turned up on Scilly a few times but never in Ireland. We haven't had it in Cornwall either, likewise Red-breasted Grosbeak, Bobolink and Yellow-rumped warbler. From the East we still haven't had Thrush Nightingale, Little Crake or Marsh Sandpiper.

I edit 'Palores' the Cornish Birdwatching and Preservation Society newsletter, and in the latest edition I have included a full Cornish list and started a competition for the first person to guess the next two Cornish firsts. There are still plenty to find - I've done it twice with Red-flanked Bluetail and Spanish Sparrow, so who knows what else is out there.

Amazing how we've gone full circle and started talking about lists again!!

(By the way 'Palores' is Cornish for Chough - the County birrd)

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
It appears that your last posting(and my posting directly before this)have been affected by the problems with this website.
I got an e-mail telling me that you had replied to this topic,but when I tried to access the website I found that I couldn't access the forums,so I never read it!!
Harry

Hi Harry,

Can't remember what I said - other than I was going to look for the Gyr that a friend of mine found at Rame Head (our local patch ) on Friday. Needless to say I didn't see it. I also missed the Chough which was seen there yesterday. It 's hard to overstate what seeing a Chough means to us in Cornwall. It is the county bird, not just our society mascot. We had them breeding in ever smaller numbers until the last pair in 1947. A lone male continued until 1963 when it died. Then there were only scattered sightings every decade or so until 2001 when three birds settled on the Lizard, no doubt helped by the fact that Foot & Mouth restrictions kept their presence secret. They bred this year causing celebrations all round.
Chough and Gyr would be patch ticks (I've seen both just outside the local area but it's not the same is it?) All was not lost however 'cos I found a Smew on the local fishing pond, quite rare here and another patch tick - hooray

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
Sorry to hear that you missed the Gyr and the Chough:the latter are quite common over here,have seen flocks of 20+ on one of my local patches(the Old Head of Kinsale).
"Need" Gyr for my Cork list,saw one in Co.Wicklow.Judging by the number of recent records of Gyr in SW UK,I may well get one as a patch tick some time!
Haven't seen Smew on a local patch as such,but have seen one in the county:a redhead back in 1995 near Macroom.The species is scarce in Ireland(but not a description species),but is very much a local rarity,with none seen in the county since then.
Haven't been out at all this weekend!:-(Weather too bad to go anywhere by bus(due to having to stay out in the showers),and nobody else went anywhere.
Very quiet locally anyway,hard to fight the apathy,especially since numbers of large gulls have gone down drastically this winter(often got through the winter on gulls alone)
Harry

Hi Darrell and Harry
Feel that I'm butting in here but Darrell, surely there are Cornwall records of Black-throated Thrush ? Nanjizal last October ? One in flight at Porthgwarra a few days later ?

Steve

Absolutely right Steve, I'd forgotten about those!!! I was going by the official County list which doesn't list them as they haven't been accepted by BBRC (yet) No doubt it'll be updated soon.

There are all sorts of oddities which have turned up but haven't got on the County list - the prime example is those 4 Ruddy Shelduck from a few years ago. Then there was the Lazuli Bunting - (I saw that bird!) it turned up the same week as the Yellow-throated Vireo and a Red-eyed Vireo. The strangest bird must be Scrub Jay. A bird was found near Kelynack in autumn 1967 but was assumed to be an escape. It was a Florida Scrub Jay - the rarest of the sub-species, but no-one ever found out where it came from. I bet it wouldn't be assumed to be an escape if it turned up nowadays!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back