• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mushroom ID? (1 Viewer)

tarves57

First I thought this was just dead leaves. On closer inspection, they are some kind of mushroom.
Can anyone ID them?

Thanks,
Susan

Susan,
Colin J (aka JacobC) is your man for fungi of all sorts - I should send him a PM to ask him to look at these.

HTH

Tony

It could be Auricularia auricula "Jews ear".
I am no expert but it looks like the picture in my book.
Is it growing on Elder?
My book (Collins guide to Mushrooms and Toadstools) says it is edible and good.
I wouldn't risk it though.

Hi Susan, That fungus goes by the unfortunate name of Jew's Ear fungus (Auricularia auriculla-judae). Its quite common in these parts.

Ah, Dave you beat me by a few seconds while I looked up the latin name. I have eaten these but they dont have that great a flavour

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'll need to get myself a decent guide. I keep bidding for the New Naturalist Mushrooms and Toadstools on Ebay, but they usually go way over what I want to pay!

(The Open University suggested we should read as many of these as possible, unfortunately they are quite sought after by collectors....:cool:))

Susan

Definitely Ear Fungus because it really does look and feel like one. Called "Jew's Ear" or "Judas' Ear" because Judas was supposed to have hanged himself on an Elder tree, the main tree it grows on.

I have eaten them but they're not up to much.

Thanks Nina, I found a very nice one, although too big to put in a pocket, on Amazon. It's called "Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain" by Roger Phillips. I saw it in Ottakars for £16.99 but found it second-hand on Amazon for £9 so that's not bad.
The pictures are amazing.

Susan

Yes I can confirm Ear Fungus. Not called Jews ear anymore due to the racist name.

Common on dead wood esp Elder. Can be fried in Butter but is very poor in taste.

Yes I can confirm Ear Fungus. Not called Jews ear anymore due to the racist name.

Common on dead wood esp Elder. Can be fried in Butter but is very poor in taste.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back