• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mpulanga Province, South Africa, June 2023 (2 Viewers)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi, this bird was spotted in Mpulanga province, South Africa in June last year. More specifically, in Sabi Sand Game Reserve, near the Nkoro Bush Lodge. I think it might be a Grey-tit Flycatcher, but it appears to have a pale eye and it might have a possible narrow breast band or it might be feather ends making it look like it may be one.

The only other bird with those two features I could think of was the Bar-tailed Apalis, which I don't think this is. The white edges to the greater coverts, secondaries and tertials don't fit with the latter species, nor does the tail.

Any Ideas?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• _ARD8534.JPG
    _ARD8534.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 14
  • _ARD8535.JPG
    _ARD8535.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • _ARD8536.JPG
    _ARD8536.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • _ARD8537_edited-1.jpg
    _ARD8537_edited-1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Looks like Grey tit - flycatcher, can't think what else it could be. Was it waggling it's tail side to side in a slightly unstable Andy?
Thanks very much. No it was not waggling its tail, unfortunately. I have only seen them seen them a few times and never with a sidewards wagging tail! These four were a short sequential burst and the bird was gone, or I was. Otherwise I would have more photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back