• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

moving to notts (1 Viewer)

glazzers

I hope shortly to return to the UK to live. The area I choose would ideally be good for one of my hobbies i.e. bird photography. I am seriously considering the area around Lound due to the proximity of the Ash Lagoons. Can someone please tell me if this a good place for birdwatching, walking,photography etc. Many Thanks.

It is one of, if not the best site, in Nottinghamshire for birdwatching and turns up a really good bird or two most years. I do not know if I would class it as a great site for photography though, this is on the basis that it does not have hides so you are generally not close to the wildfowl and waders.

You may well have already seen it, but if not Lound's website is http://loundbirdclub.webs.com/

Thanks Mark for the link. I see there is the Wetlands Animal park nearby and that seems to have a bird Hide, is this so ? Are there any other interesting sites in the area ?

I cannot say that I have ever been in the Wetlands Park, so no idea about hides there. Close to the Lound area you have Clumber Park, Budby Common, Gringley Carr within Nottinghamshire and Potteric Carr in South Yorkshire, so plenty to keep you busy.

Stick to the Lound-Retford area! lol

At Lound we have several raised screens at the best spots, Chainbridge Scrape, Neatholme Scrape/Pit. There are no Ash Lagoons any longer but there are still plenty of birds. A lot of work done in recent years by Notts Wildlife Trust and the LBC recording area(see map on web site) takes in what has now become the Idle Valley Nature Reserve and more.
Wetlands is worth a look if you have kids but to be honest it's not really a birding spot, though kingfisher is often seen there.

If you do move to the area or start to visit Lound please feel free get touch and send us your records.

Stuart.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back