• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving centre of balance - cheap plates? (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
I could do with improving stability on the tripod when the camera is attached to the scope. Yes a heavier tripod would be one solution, but I was thinking about a plate that would move the centre of balance about 1/2" forward. Browsing the web I can see heavy duty beasts designed for long lens, but they're overkill. Does anyone know of any smallish, cheapish lightish plates with a female 3/4 screw and a male 1/2" to an inch forward?

Richard D said:
I could do with improving stability on the tripod when the camera is attached to the scope. Yes a heavier tripod would be one solution, but I was thinking about a plate that would move the centre of balance about 1/2" forward. Browsing the web I can see heavy duty beasts designed for long lens, but they're overkill. Does anyone know of any smallish, cheapish lightish plates with a female 3/4 screw and a male 1/2" to an inch forward?

Well not that cheap (but under £20), not that light either, but the local camera shop had the Manfrotto 030 Universal plate that should do the job, and if it doesn't work they'll take it back.

Mickymouse said:
Good luck, hope it works for you, I don't know any alternatives to suggest.

Mick

Thanks -

Had a bit of a play with it yesterday lunchtime, and it does the job with balancing the camera, rings and scope combination pretty well. A heavier tripod would be a better solution for serious digiscoping, but it does make it possible on a very light tripod in reasonable weather conditions.

Attachments

• manfrotto_universal.jpg
    manfrotto_universal.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 130
I had a cheap tripod for photography years ago which I stabilised by attaching a hook under the head and hanging my camera bag from. Photographers carry a load of stuff, which is less true of birders, but if yu're already carrying some weight....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back