• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most Evil-looking Birds (2 Viewers)

I think the Great Potoo looks cuddly with its big head and dark eyes.
NOOOOOOOOO! LOOK INTO THOSE EYES!

Imagine going to the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning. In the pallid moonlight, I awoke, a chill slithering down my spine. The room inhaled, then held it's breath in a rigid silence, broken only by the rhythmic tick of the luminous green alarm clock perched precariously on my bedside table (a gift from my grandmother). Groping through darkness, I stumbled toward the bathroom. Shadows danced, misshapen and sinister. The floorboards threatened to creak under my cautious feet. A whisper brushed against my ear, icy fingers tracing my skin. The bathroom door creaked ajar on its own, revealing an unfathomable void within. I glance at the mirror, a hollow-eyed shadow stares back. Behind my image, a brief flicker catches my eye. I should not look back... but...

With trepidation, I turned to face the mirror once more. The reflection had transformed—a great potoo stood at my shoulder, its obsidian eyes boring into mine. Every nerve screamed, but I was paralyzed by its eerie magnificence. The air grew cold, thick with an otherworldly presence. My reflection did not move, but the great potoo's head tilted, sideways, doll-like and mocking. It was then that I realized—I was not alone, not even in my own reflection.

while I suppose I should preface this with the statement that all the species mentioned are just doing what they can to survive...

...as far as UK species were concerned, I always thought cormorants were/are pretty grim-looking creatures. Large, clad in somewhat sinister black plumage, with a long hooked bill and leathery webbed feet that set off a somewhat reptilian look (accentuated by flashing green eyes and bare skin around the face). There's something about the pterodactyl about them, including in flight (long pointed wings). I always thought a large cormorant would be a pretty good basis for a Nazgul-mount.

The large gulls (great black-back etc) are pretty evil-looking too. Handsome in a sense - the adults anyway - but very visibly quite happy to start ripping into you with those massive beaks if you dropped dead. The UK's very own version of renowned nasties like the giant petrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back