• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morepork (1 Viewer)

StarainBoy

I've just written the following to my blog
an unexpected sound broke the air. My New Zealand bird guide describes it as “more-pork, more-pork”.

I don't know. Perhaps I never hear these things the same way as others. Anyway the bird was easy to identify as an owl and on the North Island that means only a morepork. OK, I guess if you're going to hear the call that way, why not use it as the name?
and wonder if I'm remembering incorrectly. Does it really sound like more-pork?

Andy

The morepork has quite a few differing calls. But the one most New Zealander's know and love is the phonetic 'More-pork' - 'More-pork'

Ian

They call 'More-pork' all year round.
I run okarito kiwi tours and one of the calls is very much like the start of a kiwi call. Lots of New Zealanders cannot recognise a morepork call, other than the phonetic one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back