• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

moorhen in bahrein (1 Viewer)

looked odd when I photographed it but decided it was what it was a pale Moorhen - same picture different zoom - no others taken as our moorhen are not cooperative when it comes to a close approach the slightest movement they do a runner as was the case here.

Attachments

• moorhen1.jpg
    moorhen1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 107
what do you mean by immature? 2cy birds at this time should be in adult plumage i guess. it looks like a juv/1st winter but with an adult bill!
thank you howard for posting the larger pic.

I think I read somewhere that birds that are malnourished can develop at a delayed rate, and that the different parts of the bird does not have to be in sync when that happens. There was an example lately of a hawk from South America that people say should be adult after about three years that use about six when kept as a falconers bird.

I do not say that this bird has been in captivity (but do not exclude that possibility either), but I think that if is was growing up in less than ideal conditions, we could se what we are seeing on this one.

Cheers
Niels

thanks Lou for the interest - Moorhen here do have a very extended breeding period and start probably as early as February - have seen Juveniles in every month from March through to August. Have to admit they are not a species I have followed only to note that they are always around any water however temporary that might be and seem to be born survivors. As to food supply don't think that this is a problem at this particular location called Buhair which also does support a large variety of other breeding species although not in huge numbers.

PS
Incidentally should anyone find any errors in identification on our humble pages please let me know we are only too happy to have our mistakes corrected.
http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/home_stub.php

Last edited:
The bill and shield are far too advanced for anything other than an adult.

The very first image in my previous link shows a non-adult (first summer) bird with an adult-like bill. Based on my experience first summer birds have an adult-like bill, as it becomes adult-like during the first winter (or perhaps 'first summer' in Bahrain, if they hatch in winter?). Note how the bill of the October bird shown in the link already has started to become adult-like. To me it sounds plausible that the subject bird could just be a bird that has hatched early this year and that has a slightly delayed postjuvenile moult (at least it sounds as plausible as a leucistic bird).

Last edited:
That does indeed make a lot of sense Cau - we do get a few anomalies in these parts as certain local breeding species breed out of sinc with there northern neighbours. Ospreys and Caspian Terns for instance breed October to March

thanks CAU, thanks tib,

of course 1st summers (2cy) do have an adult like bill. but usually they look almost like adults plumagewise as well (except for the tiny bits under chin etc.), my point was that this one has a very juvenile like head/neck plumage with an adult bill which i haven't seen yet - it obviously looks strange. further i thought if it lasts about 7-8 months to change bill colour into adult red and yellow this can't be a 1cy (even if hatched in february). but i might have been focussed too much on a (central) european view and hormones in these southern breeders may produce a faster "adolescence" creating such weird birds.

thanks also to howard for the larger pic. i was slightly amuzed about your shy moorhens since i know how shy they can be (from eastern europe!) while here in the 'golden west' they take food out of our hands in the parks (only the urban ones of course).

Your interest Lou has sparked some curiosity on my part I shall now instead of just noting a Moorhen I shall start looking a bit closer. Currently trying to get to grips with our returning Greater Sand Plovers - tremendous variety in appearance - few consistent with any guide I have -

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back