• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monte Gordo March 2020 (1 Viewer)

DaveRi6

Monte Gordo, March 2020

Another good visit, birding by bicycle and on foot. We had 94 species in our 10 days before early repatriation.
Our best sightings were at Monte Gordo woods (west) (aka Aldeia Nova Lake). On our first visit there, there was a pair of Garganey (with the male in superb full plumage), a Purple Swamphen in the reeds on the island, Crag Martins feeding over the water, and a Common Cuckoo calling.
A couple of days later the Garganey had been replaced by two pairs of Red-crested Pochard, and we saw the Swamphen swimming across the open water, with Cuckoo still calling.
Also Osprey again on the resting / nesting platform, best seen from Monte Gordo rail station platform. More than 500 Greater Flamingoes in the saltpans.

Dave Riley and Andrea Jackson

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the report. The platform you mention has been designed as a nesting site, but so far it has only been used for resting.

As to Crag Martins, probably most have left by now, but in mid winter there is a huge roost in Monte Gordo, just in front of the beach - I have counted 550 there.

Best regards,
Gonçalo

Thank you Gonçalo.

Yes, in previous visits we saw many Crag Martins flying around the sea-facing buildings in Monte Gordo at almost ground level, as well as higher up alongside the Yellow Hotel... ...but none there this time.

Forgot to mention that we had a Woodchat Shrike twice in the woods near the Vila Real lighthouse, once near the main road and then on the dunes. Several Grey Shrikes though in a few places.

Also, for others’ benefit, there is a new bird hide on the saltpans trail about 1km from the Vila Real / Castro Marim road.

No Stone Curlews this time at our previous sites.

Dave

Woodchat Shrikes are probably passage birds as they don't breed at the places you mention (as far as I know).

I haven't been to the new hide yet, but I know where it is. I think it is facing south, so it is probably better in late afternoon (because of the sun).

The hide does indeed face south, over the river, but there are also west-facing window slots, from which we had really close views of a couple of Spotted Redshanks and other waders on the nearby mud banks, as well as more distant views of the saltpans for Flamingoes, Stilts etc. We found that mid-morning was a perfect time to be there.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back