• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monoculars - anyone use these things ? (1 Viewer)

Restarting this thread because of life changes. A couple of years ago, hip and back issues dictated a move from Swaro 30x,80 on an aluminum tripod to a Zeiss 15-45x,65 on carbon fibre. Even after a hip replacement, the latter is too heavy. I recently picked up a vintage Zeiss 15x,50 monocular that I could at least have in a daypack for walk-ins. At one pound it solves the weight issue, but even with a rest it is (of course) still shakier than a tripod-mounted optic. I find it useful as a "study" glass but not as a "scanning" glass. I'll be thinking about a way to use a hiking staff as a monopod (advice welcome).

So far, my binoculars have never been an issue. Not interested in exploring IS solutions.

My non-birding sister uses a vintage Japanese 7x,50 mono for world traveling as she is extremely right-eye dominant anyway and doesn't feel the extra barrel is worth the space in he luggage.
One of the biggest factors for me with a spotting scope is the focuser. The need to or need not to fidget with the device makes a huge difference in one's ability to scan and watch. In that regard, a small kowa tsn straight-through is really nice to use. Turning the focuser with a finger is an elegant solution.

I've been using the early 8x30 Zeiss (West) - late 50s I think and really enjoying it. Bright enough even with early coatings and plenty sharp enough. Only about 3mm eye relief unlike the later B versions... Can easily use and focus one handed.

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_172257_MP.jpg
    IMG_20240505_172257_MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I recently picked up a vintage Zeiss 15x,50 monocular that I could at least have in a daypack for walk-ins. At one pound it solves the weight issue, but even with a rest it is (of course) still shakier than a tripod-mounted optic. I find it useful as a "study" glass but not as a "scanning" glass. I'll be thinking about a way to use a hiking staff as a monopod (advice welcome).
Kowa TSN-501/502. Very light, 400 gr, under a pound. Cheap but still pretty good optically. There's an excellent review on the Spotting Scopes forum. Zoom eyepiece, fairly narrow and probably not ideal for glasses wearers.

A hiking staff as a monopod ... There used to be trekking poles that could be used as monopods, for instance by Leki. What I'd do is check out the trekking pole market and possibly have one modified with a tripod adaptor.

So far, my binoculars have never been an issue. Not interested in exploring IS solutions.
There actually was a good IS solution: Zeiss 20x60S Mono. A bit heavy for your purposes (1200 gr.) and long out of production.

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back