• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere next week (1 Viewer)

DMKSlater

Heading to Minsmere (1st visit) next week will any Avocets still be around? And what is the chance of Bittern? My bogie bird!! Any further advice/info very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave

I was there last weekend and there were still a few Avocets around but not in the kind of numbers present in summer. I think there was probably less than ten, all visible from either East or South hides.

There is always a good chance of Bittern at Minsmere but I think they are easier in summer when they are feeding young. However, if you are willing to wait in Reedbed Hide (the tall one in the woods, overlooking the reedbeds) then they are virtually guaranteed. You may have to wait an hour or so for a brief flight view, or you may have one walk out right in front of the hide.

Unfortunately, the other good Bittern location (Island Mere Hide) is currently closed for rebuilding. There is a lot of work going on at the reserve and the north wall is also closed at the moment. However, almost all of the reserve is still accesable as usual.

Hi Dave, I saw four Bittern flights this morning, all distant, between 8 and 10am from the Bittern hide, not many Avocets around at this time of year but you should see some.
Also worth checking out Dunwich Heath for Dartford Warblers

regards

I have visited a great number of times since i am not too far away. Avocets are almost always present whenever i go. It does depend on the time of year though. My highlight was the marsh harrier. It was in the distance so lugging my huge bins around was worth it!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back