• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere in July (1 Viewer)

david2004

I am going to Minsmere and will be in Suffolk this weekend. I am very excited about going, but I am going to visit more than just Minsmere. What is there in Minsmere in July? I've only been in August before. What birds am I likely to see, etc?

What other reserves, whether RSPB or not, are there around? What's around there (e.g. bird species, habitat)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to visit Minsmere....no doubt you WILL have a fabulous time!

Sure there'll soon be a few others along to help you out with suggestions of other reserves to visit.

Gill

I've just looked through one of my old notebooks. The last time I visited Minsmere was on 24 July 1989. I stayed for 6 hours, visited 8 of the 9 hides and recorded 24 species [including 6 lifers]. I also noted that the East Hide gave the best results on the day.

avocet, bar tailed godwit, black headed gull, canada goose, common sandpiper, coot, dunlin, greylag goose, heron, lapwing, little tern, magpie, moorhen, mute swan, oystercatcher, redshank, ringed plover, ruff, sandwich tern, shelduck, shoveller, snipe, spotted redshank, swallow

Peter

tp20uk said:
I am going to Minsmere and will be in Suffolk this weekend. I am very excited about going, but I am going to visit more than just Minsmere. What is there in Minsmere in July? I've only been in August before. What birds am I likely to see, etc?

What other reserves, whether RSPB or not, are there around? What's around there (e.g. bird species, habitat)?

Thanks.
My first visit 07/07/05, superb day,great views of Marsh Harrier,Bittern and Bearded Reedling. Also had lifers Med Gull and Cettis Warbler, great gift shop and cafe ;)

Other places to visit in the area. RSPB North Warren (I think that's its name, check the RSPB website for reserves in Suffolk), which is a bit further south. When you're at Minsmere, look to the north and you will see higher ground. This is the National Trust reserve of Dunwich Heath, where you can get typical heathland species. There are also some marshes a couple of miles further north on the Blyth river estuary. Some friends of mine prefer these to Minsmere. I think they're a local nature reserve, and I think they are called Walberswick marshes. Anyway, you'll find them just north of the A1387 out to the little village of Walberswick. There's a little car park and map of the reserve.

florall said:
When you're at Minsmere, look to the north and you will see higher ground. This is the National Trust reserve of Dunwich Heath, where you can get typical heathland species.
It's a great place for Dartford Warbler. I've even managed to photograph them there.

Also Woodlark.

Thanks very much everyone! That's great help! I'm really looking forward to the trip, and will post a report when I get back.

I dont know if you are in to rarities but there is a Marsh Sandpiper at North Warren RSPB and the Lesser Creasted Tern has been reported at Bawdsey at East Lane on 1st lagoon this afternoon both are in Suffolk.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

Phill.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back