• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Midlands birding (1 Viewer)

Midlander_ie

Tom Murtagh
Peter Anderson and myself made a trip to Glen Lough NPWS reserve, near Edgeworthstown (GPS 53.658424,-7.588391) on the Longford/Wesmeath border during the week.
The lake (which throughout Summer takes on the appearence of a fen) is quite flooded now after the heavy rain of recent days. Inconveniently, most of the waterbirds were on the opposite side of the lake and partially obstructed views (from the Reserve hide) across the reedbeds didnt yield much other than a sizeable flock of Whoopers on the southern side of the lake, together with assorted ducks, mainly Wigeon, Mallard, Teal and a few Shoveler and a small number of Mute Swans. Close by the hide however, we had decent views of a pair of Gadwall with a few more found on the southern side of the lake, viewed later from a road by the peat factory to the south. This alternate view allowed for a reasonably accourate count of the Whoopers present, numbering 238 approx - a few more swans were partially hidden in the reedbeds and not included in the count. The area is also good for raptors and on our visit we had a Buzzard and a Kestrel, both regulars , viewed from the hide. There is a somewhat elusive Hen Harrier (ringtail) in the area, seen quartering the reedbeds on earlier autumn/ winter visits , but a "no show" on this occasion.
Interestingly, we observed a good number of Stonechats around the reedbeds, a species not so widespread locally. A mixed flock of Linnets and Redpoll were also encountered along the path to the hide.
Kingfisher and Water Rail are also regularly recorded at this site
The site is fairly quiet during Spring/Summer as water levels are low then so now is a good time for a site visit !

Birding at Lough Gowna - Cavan/ Longford border

Spent a pleasant few hours today birding my local patch and doing my January IWeBS count in the process . Lough Gowna is a narrow indented lake on the Longford / Cavan border, surrounded by wooded shorelines, farmland and bog.0 It holds small numbers of duck in winter, some Whooper & Mute Swans and small flocks of waders who locate between a number of sites along the shoreline. The lake has a number of easily accessible viewing points on all sides and I find travelling anticlockwise around the lake from Dring ( about 4 miles north of Granard) to Derrycassan Forest, then to Lough Gowna village, then to Dernaferst Bridge and back along the west shore line via Erne Head to Dring.
The patch throws up the occasional surprise - 2 White Tailed Eagles spent a month around the lake last Autumn and on today's outing I ticked 3 Pink Footed Geese near Aughnacliffe shoreline- a first for me at this site - and further on , a Peregrine buzzing a flock of Golden Plover (approx 360 birds) A Sparrow Hawk and 2 Buzzard (residents) completed the raptor tally. The cumulative total for Whooper Swan on the lake today was 93 with small numbers of Wigeon, Goldeneye,Teal, Mallard & Tufted Duck.

Last edited:
Myself & Neal Warnock spent last Saturday & Sunday birding some midland lakes.

Surprisingly little seen given that we checked out Loughs Owel, Ennell, Sheever, Ballinafid, Iron, Derravaragh, Sheelin, Kinale, Brackagh & Derragh!

I guess weekend activities on the lakes (fishing & shooting) didn't help. Some large flocks of Aythyas on Loughs Owel & Derravaragh but they were very distant.

Highlights as follows:
2 Great Northern Divers at Lough Owel
4 Scaup & 1 Great Northern Diver at Lough Ennell
55 Greenland White-fronted Geese at Lough Iron
1 Little Egret at Derragh Lake

Good to see quite a few Stonechats about and lots of winter thrushes everywhere (particularly Redwing).

All the best,
Niall

Myself & Neal Warnock spent last Saturday & Sunday birding some midland lakes.

Surprisingly little seen given that we checked out Loughs Owel, Ennell, Sheever, Ballinafid, Iron, Derravaragh, Sheelin, Kinale, Brackagh & Derragh!

I guess weekend activities on the lakes (fishing & shooting) didn't help.

Good to see quite a few Stonechats about and lots of winter thrushes everywhere (particularly Redwing).

All the best,
Niall

Agree about the disturbance and bird displacement on the lakes over winter Niall - it's a bit hit and miss! Was down counting Swan Lake near Loch Gowna village a few weeks ago and got fairly decent numbers of Mallard, Wigeon, Teal and a few Shoveler. This lake is a wildlife sanctuary and no shooting allowed. Weekend angling and shooting disturbance on Lough Gowna and neighbouring small lakes results in an influx of duck to the lake, only to disappear once things settle down. Waterbird fluctuations from disturbance is a bit of a head wrecker especially when trying to do IWeBS counts etc ....here today, gone tomorrow, but to where ??
Glen Lough near Edgeworthstown (see my earlier posting) gets refugees from disturbance on nearby lakes, Owel, Iron etc and the Whooper Swans there seem to move between these lakes on a regular basis !
Nice to see the resurgence of the Stonechat population too, after the hard winters of 2010/2011, good numbers of them around but distribution still fairly local to certain areas.

Last edited:
Leitrim birding

Peter Anderson and myself headed for lovely Leitrim today to do some IWeBS recording on a cluster of small lakes in the south east of the county, in the Mohill / Drumod/ Drumsna area - east of the River Shannon, as we had been told by BWI that the area has not been counted so far this season.
The loughs covered were Errill, Mucklaghan,Gortconnellan, Gortinty, Cloonboniagh, Cloonfinnan, Scannal, Rinn and Errew, all with reasonably accessible viewing from public roadways. There is extensive flooding of fields around the lakes and by the Shannon.
After a dull drizzly start the day came good with sunny spells in a light breeze and decent visibility.
The lakes didn't yield any spectacular records or rarities. We were expecting good numbers of ducks and, apart from a cumulative total of 194 Tufted, other species were in scarce supply (Wigeon 62, Pochard 35)
Mute Swans were ticked in small numbers on most of the lakes and at the end of the day we had a total of 79 birds. Whoopers numbered 90, mainly distributed between Gortinty and Cloonbaniagh lakes.
Interestingly, we didnt find any Grebes, Gulls or Waders on our travels. May be worth a revisit before the end of the season for count comparison purposes!

Morning trip today to Glen Lough NPWS Reserve near Edgeworthstown.
Species recorded :
Gadwall - a small flock winter here years now
Shoveler - do.
Wigeon
Mallard
Coot
Little Grebe
Grey Heron
Hen Harrier - Ringtail - winter resident
Merlin - female - first sighting at this site
Common Snipe
Stonechat
Lesser Redpoll

Longford Great Spotted Woodpecker sighting

Peter Anderson and I have been on the trail of a GSW for some time now after hearing what we thought were snatches of early morning drumming in Erne Head wood near Aughnacliffe on the shores of Lough Gowna in north Longford - on our local birding patch Our early morning outings came up trumps at 8.15am today when we caught our first glimpse of the bird , which we think from our views is a female . Possibly the first GSW sighting for Longford

2 female Scaup on Lough Gowna yesterday ( at Dring shore - southern / Longford end of lough), a first sighting on local patch although Scaup recorded by others on nearby Kinale/Bracklagh & Sheelin lakes in recent years.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back