• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro ID, Cumbria UK (3 Viewers)

gillean55

Hello

I found this 7-8mm long micro at the edge of a South Solway moss yesterday. Cydia servillana is the best match I've managed to find, but there are too many discrepancies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• for ID.jpg
    for ID.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 10
Many thanks loiner (and also Richard) - I think you've nailed it! There were numerous gorse bushes along the path where the moth was found. Also I found several of them and according to my field guide they can be abundant around gorse in the sunshine (and the sun was actually shining for once). They are also on the wing in May up here. I've attached a photo of a second specimen (the photo has been rotated to make it easier to identify) and it's actually a closer match to the image shown in Sterling & Parsons!

Thanks again

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_3031 cr rotated for id 2.jpg
    IMG_3031 cr rotated for id 2.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi. I think the first pic is Cydia succedana, and the second, Cydia ulicetana. I'm not sure if they're classed as the same species or not? I believe, it's quite variable? Could someone please clarify for me. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back