• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Michigan Trip May 2009 (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

I've planned a trip to Michigan for May 27 - 31. That gives me three solid days to bird.

The main point to the trip is to see the Kirtland's Warbler. I'd also love to see a Pileated Woodpecker.

Here are the places I plan to bird.

Thursday May 28:

I signed up for the Cerulean Warbler Tour at the Otis Sanctuary with the Michigan Audubon Society.

After the Cerulean Warbler tour I'm planning to stop at the Kellogg Experimental Forest and the Ott Biological Perserve.

I will be driving from the Battle Creek area to Grayling on this day.

Friday May 29

This is the day I'm doing the Kirtland's Warbler tour with the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

After the tour I'm planning to stop at Hartwick Pines State Park if I haven't seena Pileated Woodpecker by this point. Then drive to Tawas Point State Park.

Night in Tawas City

Saturday May 30

I need to work my way back towards Detroit.

Planned stops for this day are:

Nayanquing Point Wildlife Area

Chippewa Nature Center

time permitting Shiawassee NWR

I don't think I'll have time to hit all three of these, so which should be my top two. I'd like to see songbirds more so then shorebirds or marsh type birds.

I'm not sure about the Kellogg Experimental Forest or the Ott Biological Preserve. Are there better places I should bird in the Battle Creek area? Keeping in mind I'll be headed upstate to Grayling.

Are any of the stops I listed good or reliable for a Pileated Woodpecker? If not where should I go to see one?

Would anyone be willing or available to bird any of these places with me? I'd love to bird with someone more experienced with Michigan birds then I am.

Thanks

RHRN:

Looks like a great trip. Pileated is hit or miss, you've got a good chance in Cerulean country, Hartwick Pines and while driving the roads around Grayling.

Best songbirding is definately at Tawas Pt. but you are at the tail end of Migration. Shiawassee is good but similar to the Kellogg Sanctuary in ways.

BA

Loranfrfr,

I had a fantastic trip! I fell in love with Michigan.

I got all my target birds.

I didn't get the best views of the Cerulean Warbler. Too high in the tree and the lighting wasn't so great.

I got Pileated Woodpecker at Otis Sanctuary and at Hartwick Pines.

Good views of the Kirtland's Warbler in Grayling. Also got so-so looks at an Upland Sandpiper in Grayling.

My favorite spot was Hartwick Pines. The place is beautiful. I felt like I was in an outdoor cathedral.

I also very much liked East Tawas. I wish I had more time to spend there.

I hope to return to Michigan in a few years. There are places I'd like to go to again and other places I didn't have time to visit that I'd like to hit on my next trip.

Loranfrfr,

I had a fantastic trip! I fell in love with Michigan.

I got all my target birds.

I didn't get the best views of the Cerulean Warbler. Too high in the tree and the lighting wasn't so great.

I got Pileated Woodpecker at Otis Sanctuary and at Hartwick Pines.

Good views of the Kirtland's Warbler in Grayling. Also got so-so looks at an Upland Sandpiper in Grayling.

My favorite spot was Hartwick Pines. The place is beautiful. I felt like I was in an outdoor cathedral.

I also very much liked East Tawas. I wish I had more time to spend there.

I hope to return to Michigan in a few years. There are places I'd like to go to again and other places I didn't have time to visit that I'd like to hit on my next trip.

I still haven't seen a Piliated in MI.
Good for you!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back