• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico in October (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
Managed to book two weeks at a resort called "Riviera Maya" which is not too far from Cancun.

We will have a car so any help on the following questions gratefully received.

1/. Best field guide?
2/. Any spots (say within 100 miles) that must not be missed?
3/. Any other local info please?

Regards

James the Smurf.

Howell

Puerto Morelos just south has some excellent botanical gardens as an introduction to the area

Cozumel Island has four endemics and is easy to bird

Coba is an excellent site as is Chichen Itza

Steve Howell wrote a bird finding guide that is excellent too

the people are great, the food is great and the beer is wonderful
sit on the beachfront at Puerto Morelos with a beer and a plate of food watching the frigatebirds go by
Turtles lay on the beaches on Cozumel at night - the Deep Blue divers (easy to find in town) took us out for free one night to see them... run by an English guy called Matt, very nice chap.

see my report birding and duding in Mexico and Belize
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/belize/belize1/yuc-bel-aug-03.htm

ps.... watch out for the Bot Flies :eek!:

Last edited:
definitely check out the Howell books - both the birdfinding guide and Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America were a great help to me on my trip to western Mexico this past December. Also bear in mind that none of the various field guides dedicated to Mexico illustrate the migratory songbirds which breed in North America - bring along a copy of a North American guide to pin down those wintering and migrating wood-warblers, if you aren't familiar with them.
Enjoy!

Brad

Ordered the books (about half price on Amazon) and read your report as well Tim.
Anticipation is always part of the fun!

James

James,
Good suggestions above from Tim and Brad. Might want to also add Rio Lagartos to your itinerary. The Howell guides are excellent and as Brad said, get a US fieldguide to cover the northern migrants. Here is a link to a trip report for Cozumel, Puerto Morelos, and Coba .

If you decide to venture any further, I have also posted several trip reports in that same forum for Celestun, Calakmul, and southern Quintana Roo.

Enjoy your trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back