• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Messingham Sand Quarries: 20-06-04 (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello,

Had an enjoyable day at the above again. Arrived at 08:00 to an empty car park. We made our way to the Duck Hide, on the different lakes we passed there was very little movement. Was this going to be a boring four hours?

Thankfully it was far from boring, we spent three and a half in the Duck hide and decided it was time to stretch our legs.

Not only had we seen a good selection of birds but also watched parachutists falling out of the sky, with their canopies in full flow.

Normally we finish the day off by having half an hour in the Grebe Hide, but today the lake was virtually deserted, except for the Coots and juvs, Mute Swan and juvs not forgetting the Common Tern.

We got back to the car at 12:15.

On arriving home I transferred all the data I'd put onto the dictation machine and found out we had seen 37 bird species, 2 of Damselflies, 2 of Butterfly and 1 of Mammal. Almost forgot also saw 24+ Rabbits nearly all very small ones.

The highlights were seeing four Common Buzzard soaring high over Twigmoor and Manton Woods. Seeing a cygnet riding on one it parents back. A pair of Bullfinch only yards from the hide. Seeing the juvs of seven different species and lastly seeing and being able to identify damsel and butterflies, which for me is a recent addition to include on all future birding trips.

Regards

Hi intellectual.

Another nice report as usual.

Got a Bullfinch myself today, and I reckon I can claim 7 juvies (if you'll let me have my Mallards!) as well today.

I remember a good deal of insect life from my recent visit to MSQ, and it certainly makes for an interetsting addition to the bird lists. Don't think I'll ever manage morw than a very few ids though!!!

Any Cinnabar Caterpillars at the site yet... thousands round my way!

birdman said:
Hi intellectual.

Another nice report as usual.

Got a Bullfinch myself today, and I reckon I can claim 7 juvies (if you'll let me have my Mallards!) as well today.

I remember a good deal of insect life from my recent visit to MSQ, and it certainly makes for an interetsting addition to the bird lists. Don't think I'll ever manage morw than a very few ids though!!!

Any Cinnabar Caterpillars at the site yet... thousands round my way!

Hi Dave,

I'm always late, so accept my apoligies for getting back to you. Been birding everyday this week except today, been to Leeds for a check up, I got a gold star!!

Enjoy writing the reports, it's good practice.

Regarding the insect life, I'm a beginner, but one of my birding pals helps to ID them. It's like anything else practice makes perfect. Going to get a couple of field guides: one on butterflies and one on damselflies. MSQ seems to have an abundance of insect life.

Had to go on Monday, I'd left my binos pouch [it wasn't expensive, but now need a new one] in the Duck Hide on Sunday. Surprise surprise it wasn't there!!

While there saw an adult Wren feeding three juvs, they were all sat in a tree and I was only six feet away, didn't dare sneeze. Then went along the side of the dyke which runs alongside a wheat field [as if your walking back from the Duck hide] got an excellent view of a male Kestrel hovering just above me. Then saw something on a sheaf of corn, it was a dragonfly, a big dragonfly. Put details on tape and checked it later,plus looked at some images on here, it was a broad-bodied Chaser. Walking back across the meadow saw some more Ringlet butterflies [looked at your images I believe?], and two species of damselfly. The orchids are a picture. Looked for the Bee Orchids but couldn't find them. saw them last year.

No idea about the Cinnabar caterpillars, I'll have to ask.

Hope it keeps fine for Open Day.

Regards

John
PS: did I tell you that I recorded 58 House Sparrows in our garden on Sunday, there was about 12-18 juvs, but it is almost 40 more than we usually get.

intellectual said:
I'm always late, so accept my apoligies for getting back to you.
No worries, John.

intellectual said:
PS: did I tell you that I recorded 58 House Sparrows in our garden on Sunday, there was about 12-18 juvs, but it is almost 40 more than we usually get.
It's about 58 more than we usually get!!!

Got a d-fly id from BF myself a couple of weeks or so ago... being a female or juvie Broad-bodied Chaser on my patch!

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back