• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mercantour in June (1 Viewer)

A-Birder11

I am spending a week in the Mercantour National park near Saint-Martin-Vesubie at the end of June and was wondering if anyone had any info or tips for birding (and mammals) in the surrounding areas. I am probably going to visit the Col de la Bonette and Col de la Lombarde so any info for species in these areas or nearby would be extremely helpful. My target species are mostly species that are rare or don't occur in the UK (especially Bearded Vulture and Wallcreeper) but I assume these two will be extremely hard.

I have found the below info from a search on here which has been very useful so anything to add to that would be greatly received. Thanks :t:

Hi Gduff,

september is a month where most of your targets are wandering. So you can expect them in many places.
In late september you get few chances for Ortolan bunting as most are already gone and you must reach lower altitudes like plateau de Calern or areas nearby like Col de Vence for a try for the last ones.
Some of the best places «*nearby*» for Snowfinch are Col de la Bonette where it does breed and paths from Col de la Cayolle where you can expect wandering/feeding groups anywhere as well as the Treecreeper.
If you choose Vésubie Nutcracker wouldn't be a difficult task. Go to Le Boréon (easy from Saint-Martin Vésubie) and take the path to Les Granges de la Maïris. Birds are calling along the steepy path. Another solution is to go toward Col de Salèse, park at the last authorized section and explore the surroundings.
I don't know much at high elevations for Common Rock Thrush by this time of the year. You can try again Plateau de Calern where it is still present in late september.
For the Blue Rock Thrush you need to head South near the coast as this species doesn't pass over the 1000 meters high. Surely one of the best place could be La Tête de Chien which is a rock overlooking Monaco. OK it is far away from Saint-Martin Vésubie...
Citril Finch wouldn't be a hard matter if you do some walks above the treeline.
No answer for Rock Partridge and Ptarmigan. As these are nearly always difficult birds to see. I have always claimed «*in the Alps you need an entire day for each species*». And this is the case for Boreal Owl. However young Pygmy Owls respond to calls until october. Le Boréon provides good forests for it. Go at least to 1600 meters high in forests with spruces and firs on northern slopes. You need to call for helping you. Not Guaranteed.
The Dipper is guaranteed as it is a common bird*: check the streams anywhere.
May be what you defined as «*big raptors*» are Golden Eagle and Griffon Vulture. No problem if you go birding every day according to the weather*: the opportunity awaits you.

Pascal en «*keskinbo*» qui est désolé de son anglais basique...

I noticed a dearth of information on bird locations prior to a trip this year, so I thought I'd better post some information. I would stress that it was not a pure birding trip and we did not visit obvious places such as Le Boreon or Col de la Bonnette.

Here is a very brief summary of birds seen during a holiday to the Mercantour National Park and the Haut Verdon, France from Friday 14/7/17 to Friday 28/7/17. Although the main purpose of the trip was hillwalking, a few rest days were spent looking for local specialties. Detailed locations refer to the French IGN 1:25,000 maps which can be accessed online here:

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/ign_france_maps/france.shtml

Fri 14/7/17 Based at Valdeblore west of St-Martin-Vesubie. During an ascent of Mont Ponset starting at la Madone de Fenestre via the Vallon du Ponset: Nutcrackers in the Vallon du Ponset. In the meadow at the top of the valley east of Mont Caval: Citril Finch, Ring Ouzel, Black Redstart and Wheatear. From the summit of Mont Ponset; Alpine Accentor in the SE basin around point 2500m, Alpine Choughs on the SE summit slope and Wallcreepers on the NW face.

Sat 15/7/17 Based at Valberg. Col de la Couillole (between Beuil and Roubion): Citril Finch, Crossbills, Griffon Vultures. Col de l’Espaul (ENE of Valberg): Bonelli’s Warblers (bit of a hotspot it appears), Green Woodpecker, Red-backed Shrike.

Sun 16/7/17 During a trip up and down Les Clouts from Pre de Chaudi car park south of Beuil: Black Woodpeckers (3) below St Pierre, Bonelli’s Warbler, Crossbills in la Pinea, Black Redstarts around Giarons Ruins, Water Pipit, Crested Tit and Wheatear west of Tete de Giarons. Griffon Vultures above Les Clouts summit. Pygmy Owl juv halfway down the zig-zag path through la Pinea.

Wed 19/7/17 Mont Mounier from la Colle north of Col de l’Espaul: Water Pipit, Red-billed Chough, Rock Bunting, Griffon Vultures, Alpine Swifts on the summit and Col de Crousette

Fri 21/7/17 Mont Brussiere above Col de la Couillole: Griffon Vultures (seem to roost in the Vallon de Conchas) and Honey-buzzard from the woods east of Mont Brussiere. No sign of any Lammergeier. They were introduced into the Vignols valley area.

Sun 23/7/17 Haut Verdon. Based at Allos. Col d’Allos: Water Pipit, Black Redstart, Griffon Vulture & Citril Finch.

Mon 24/7/17 During walk up Mont Pelat from Lac d’Allos car park: Rock Thrush & Fieldfare in the meadow approx 1km N of Lac d’Allos at point 2273m. Griffon Vultures above Col de la Petite Cayolle.

Tues 25/7/17 Circuit of Lac d’Allos: Green Woodpecker, Nutcracker, Black Redstart, Citril Finch and Ring Ouzel.

Wed 26/7/17 During an ascent of Le Grande Cheval de Bois: Alpine Accentors (point 2532m), Snow Finch (col between Petite & Grande), Alpine Swifts around summit.

Fri 28/7/17 Circuit of Montagne de l’Avalanche & Sommet des Garrets from the Lac d’Allos carpark: Black Redstart, Citril Finch en route to Pas du Lausson, Red-billed Chough, Wallcreeper & Alpine Accentor cliffs east of Lac des Garrets, Griffon Vultures circling Lac des Garrets plus juvenile Golden Eagle, Rock Thrush in meadow and stone enclosures just south of point 2273m beside the path to Refuge d’Allos.

Hope this is useful to future visitors, cheers, Bruce Kerr, Loanhead, Scotland

Attachments

• 1 Red-backed Shrike 20170715.jpg
    1 Red-backed Shrike 20170715.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 2 Black woodpecker 20170717.jpg
    2 Black woodpecker 20170717.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 3 Bonelli's Warbler 20170720.jpg
    3 Bonelli's Warbler 20170720.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 4 Griffon Vulture & Honey-buzzard 20170721.jpg
    4 Griffon Vulture & Honey-buzzard 20170721.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 5 Rock thrush 20170728.jpg
    5 Rock thrush 20170728.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back