• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

meopta hermes 1 70mm scope? (1 Viewer)

smurf.for.mark

hi i just found this advertised in the local paper and bought it for £45. its in really good condition and came with fixed power 25x and 40x ep's tripod and cover.
have only tested it looking at the moon but it is very sharp out to about 80% of fov, shows a little CA of axis.
can anybody tell me if it was a good buy or how much it would have cost new and how it rates compared to other scopes ect. i have been looking for a scope for a while now and this one seems OK to me?

thanks mark

Attachments

• spottingscope.JPG
    spottingscope.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 335
hi i just found this advertised in the local paper and bought it for £45. its in really good condition and came with fixed power 25x and 40x ep's tripod and cover.
have only tested it looking at the moon but it is very sharp out to about 80% of fov, shows a little CA of axis.
can anybody tell me if it was a good buy or how much it would have cost new and how it rates compared to other scopes ect. i have been looking for a scope for a while now and this one seems OK to me?

thanks mark

Looks like you have yourself a bargin. Well done.

i feel a little bad not offering the guy a little more for them now, at the time i didnt really know what i was buying or if it was any good as i was a little rushed, saw it in the paper rang the guy and picked them up in under 40 mins as he was going out not long after. the tripod that was included is a bit naff though but i allready have a much better opticron one so not a problem.
i'll give it a good looking through tomorrow.

Congrats, you've made a bargain. Last year, those scopes were sold out by a major German supplier for nearly 300 € (body and 25x eyepiece). I tried one but was not totally satisfied so I didn't buy it. But, hey, 45 GBP, that's a steal! :t:

what are the specs with these? are they multi coated on the objectives? it seems to have only a blue and purple tint to it. checked it out today and despite being overcast it seems reasonably bright at 25x, the center field is sharp out to about 80% and drops off noticeably about the last 10% eye relief is a little short, more so with the 40x ep. i noticed a few specs of a yellow grease like substance on one of the internal prism surfaces but it doesnt seem to effect the view. i take it these are NO2 perged so taking it apart to clean would be a bad idea?.
all in all its not a bad scope for starters and will do until i can afford to upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back