• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 15x56 HD - Reviews and Information (1 Viewer)

Hi HenRun,

I wasn't able to arrange a comparison in a shop, because local hunters don't buy 15x binos, so even if all hunting shops have some 15x listed on their websites, they don't really physically have them for comparison.
So I ordered the Meostar B1+ online. But it didn't fit my eyes wery well, so I additionally ordered the SLC and was able to compare them side by side. The SLC was a bit better for my eyes, so I am keeping it and returning the Meostar.
I mostly agree with your comparison of the two binos, and will add my observations:

Build & ergo: both are sturdy and feel solid. Focusing on the Meostar seems less refined than on the SLC, while the hinge on SLC is too stiff (B1 is great). Slower focusing speed on SLC is nice, B1+ is still ok. The SLC has thinner barrels, and also offer a bit more (maybe 1.5mm effective) eye relief, because the eyecups seem to screw a little deeper than in the B1. In general, the SLC feels a little more higher-endy, but definitively not top-grade. Both acceptable for me.

Sharpnes and CA: in the middle 50% of FOV, both are super sharp. Try as I might, I simply was not able to see a difference in detail resolution between the two. Both are sharper than my eyes in the middle. After 50%, the B1 starts to soften, it is still usable to say 65%. The SLC manages at least 65% of true sharpnes, and is still decent at 75%. Those who don't look around much, will probably see little to no difference. I personally liked that the SLC required less panning, because more of the FOV is usable, it honestly feels like the whole FOV is sharp (while it really isn't).
I checked the CA in harsh conditions, city buildings/antennas against bright sky. The B1 handles CA very well, a pleasure to look at. Its still there but practically invisible in the center. The SLC is more finicky, it requires precise eye placement for the CA to start looking similarly to B1, and always has more on the edges of the FOV. It is not a deal breaker, and the SLC is not bad, but there is a difference. When focused very close (10m branches against sky) the SLC shows CA even in the centre, while the B1 image truly is beautifull (if you eyes are ok with such close focus in 15x bino).
In less demanding conditions both are great.

Colors and distortion: No surprises here, the SLC is brighter and more neutral. On a bright day, the SLC feels a bit white-ish, like it is too bright and loosing some contrast. I think it really isn't, and my theory is that this effect is caused by the eyes not seeing the whole view, but a bright circle surrounded by black. The B1 image looks very natural and in bright conditions, but gets a slightly warm tone as it gets darker.
Both show pincussion distortion, B1 has a classical view and the SLC a "two step" curvature, first less then a bit more in the outside 50% of the FOV. Both are nice and I was never bothered by it, and saw no barrel-effect when panning either.
SLC has a few more degrees of AFOV, its nice but doesn't really translate into noticeable extra meters/feet of view in the distance.

Here in EU, I got the B1+ for the price of the previous version B1.1 (1350e), but the standard price of the new B1+ is about 1550e.
The SLC was 1900e. To me the increased price of B1+ brings it too close to the SLC, which I liked more. The old price of the B1.1 seems right to me.
In the US where Swaro is more expensive, getting a deal on the Meopta might give you great value.
I think that if they manage to stretch the central sharpness in the B2 to say 70% but with the same CA control, add AK prisms and their best coatings (which are not used in B1), the image quality would be better than the current SLC.

Just for fun I'm adding a few photos through the SLC, there was nice wheather this evening. The far mountain is 85km, and I even saw one that is 135km away :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_192827.jpg
    IMG_20210520_192827.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210520_200248.jpg
    IMG_20210520_200248.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210520_192333.jpg
    IMG_20210520_192333.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Wal, thank you for the insight - I would say you described it better than I did and I agree with your findings.

Especially the CA part was very descriptive and true to how I saw it.

For anyone in the market I think they are both great binoculars. In the end I traded my 15x for the 12x50 Meopta B1 Plus which works better for my eyes and it makes all the difference (for the better) for me. I can't say that it is "sharper" as I can't resolve that well but at least it has some other characteristics. Sweet spot on the 12x50 is perhaps even a little bit smaller than on the 15x56 but for my use it works great.

I traded the reach/magnification for easier viewing and with the same, high, resolution I find going from 15X to 12X isn't a huge step down. The 12X magnification is a bit awkward as it sits right between the 10X and whatever higher there is but I find the 12X Meopta very useful even with a decent 10X in the set up.

I think you made a good choice Wal.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back