• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Measures V2 Foldable Dish (1 Viewer)

Avetarda

Spain
Hello.
Anyone with the Telinga dish: My current Dodotronic dish is broken. I'd like to know which is the diameter of the central hole, where the microphone is inserted. I've a Dodotronic microphone and would like to try that turntable if it works for me. Thanks.

I measure the central hole as 38.5mm

For the Telinga, a split tube with one threaded end sticks out of the back of the dish. Threaded disks screw into the tube and sandwich the dish, holding the tube in place. The mic then sits in the tube and is held firm by the handle clamp which tightens the split ring around the mic stem. See image below of split tube and disks sandwiching the dish. For the Twin Science Mic, this arrangement allows the mic to be slid in and out, so that either the omni or back facing cardiodal mic are in focus.

I have not used the Dodotronic dish, so not sure whether you can make the dish work with a Dodotronics mic. The Dodotronics and Telinga dish seem to be the same [rather high] price (150 Euros), so perhaps it would be safest to seek a replacement from Dodotronics rather than possibly waste money with a Telinga dish.

Split Tube.jpg

I'm interested in this disc because it's comfortable to transport. If it doesn't work for me, I'll have to use another dodotronic. I attach photos so you can see the dodotronic system.

BBC629A5-9A7F-4D74-916D-FBB2FBA98FE5.jpeg

Attachments

• E204813B-78E8-488E-844E-A6FEF0C56166.jpeg
    E204813B-78E8-488E-844E-A6FEF0C56166.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 43E132A7-8058-425A-9657-18FFB5A6467A.jpeg
    43E132A7-8058-425A-9657-18FFB5A6467A.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 3
Looks quite similar. What is the aperture size in the dodotronics dish? If it is pretty similar then maybe it will work.

You wouldn’t want the Telinga dish to have an undersized hole, which you would need to try and enlarge.

An oversized hole may also not be good, if the mic could then slip in position, so was not central to the dish.

I don't know if you did the measurement like I did. In this case, the hole seems to me smaller than the Telinga.
8B89F0CA-7C88-45EE-9AA7-70EB4FD40A63.jpeg

I unscrewed the split tube assembly and measured the actual hole in the dish. I think this should be a similar dimension to the outside of the tube, which looks to be about 37.0mm in your photo. The apertures in the dishes may therefore be pretty close.

IIRC the depth and therefore focal points of those dishes are different so I would not recommend swapping dishes in between those brands (unless you can adjust the focal point with the mic setup).

IIRC the depth and therefore focal points of those dishes are different so I would not recommend swapping dishes in between those brands (unless you can adjust the focal point with the mic setup).
Mmmmm... I thought so. I don't know how much different it can be and if the difference will be very important.
Maybe, moving the microphone forwards or backwards can be valid
Telinga: 57cm diameter and 15cm depth
Dodotro: 53cm diameter and 12,5 depth

Last edited:
I didn't think about this.

As I say, with the Telinga handle you can slide the mic in and out, but I don't think this means that mic position is unimportant. For peak performance using the Telinga twin science, you are advised to set the mic in one of two positions, so that either the cardiodal or omni mic is in focus - you then have peak performance using one or other of the mics (but not both simultaneously). This implies that the area of focus is not that large and that relatively small adjustments can have impact and move a mic out of the focus zone.

Assuming the Dodotronics kit also allows you to adjust the position back and forth, getting the mic in focus may not be that simple. I tried using the Telinga dish with the Wildlife Acoustics SM4 with external mic for NicMig recordings. You can determine the theoretical focus point from the dish depth and diameter and using the rules for a true parabola, but when I tried locating the mic at this theoretic point, I was never really sure it was perfect. I tried to test the gain and make small adjustments to check for improvement of reduction in gain, but this was a lot of back and forth making adjustments - setting up the mic in a position, recording a set sound at a set distance, making a recording, then making an adjustment and repeating the process, then finally analyzing all the recordings to see the best result. You may be able to just listen and tweak the position until you think you have the most gain, but you would probably need somewhere with limited background noise and then to set up a constant signal to listen to (with the dish and source at fixed positions).

Given the cost, perhaps the Dodoctronic replacement dish is the safe option.

As a last point, you say you want the Telinga dish because it is 'comfortable to transport'. I have the old mark 1 and the mark 2 may be better - it does role up, but I wouldn't say it was easy or stress free - You need to role it and then squeeze it into the Telinga carrier bag (or a similar sized fabric tube, otherwise it will spring back into shape. Mine also makes some slight creaking sounds when I roll it, which makes we worry it will crack - I am assured however they it shouldn't. I think they also recommend that you store it flat and not rolled up as if you leave it rolled up in can permanently deform. I tend to leave mine flat apart from the odd flight when I roll it up during the journey only. I don't roll it to transport it in the field.

Thanks a lot. Change doesn't seem easy. my idea was for transportation, for travel, since it takes up too much. I'll continue with Dodotronic. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back