• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mc Neill bottom . (1 Viewer)

bella34

Mc Neill bottom is a lake just off the A68 about a mile out of Witton le Wear on the road to Fir tree then Wolsingham, its in the bottom of the valley alongside the river Wear behind Mc Neill farm.
I dont know if many of you know about it but you could combine a trip here with a visit to Low Barns and also a good multi gravel pit area right by the Wear where the 2 bridges cross just outside Witton park.
So you could kill 3 birds with one stone so to speak .
Anyway i was at Mc Neill this morning and on the lake were Tufted Duck, Mallard, Teal, Goldeneye, Pochard, Greylag, Canada, Cormorant, Great crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Heron, Oystercatcher, Common Sandpiper and Mute swan, with Sand Martins and Goosander and a few of the above also on the river Wear.
Well worth a visit .

I pass this regularly and have often stopped in the lay by which overlooks it to get some distant bird shots. I had always thought it was a private lake?
Is the access just past the lay by (northbound A68) which overlooks it and can you just drive down there to view the birds? Is there anywhere to park?

Thanks,

Mark.

You'll have to park in the layby and walk down the track through Mc Neill farm, the farm road is 50 metres or so past the layby, the farmers wife will make it absolutely clear there is NO PARKING on the farm.
Apparently there is another road that gets you quite close to the far side of the river but theres no way across to the lake.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back