• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven offer is KILLING me!! (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I don't know. I know how good a Maven B.1/B.2 is. It's pretty close to the best binocular at its price point IMO. Yes, I JUST SOLD a 8X42 B.1. I got to where I rarely used it but hung on to it for quite a while. NOW I'm really wanting another B.2. I had a 9X45 and sold it. It's such an excellent binocular. So easy to just throw it up and with an ease only a few other binoculars exhibit. It's a little heavy and a little large is about it's only negative points. NOW Maven has that 15% off that's been going on for a while. Now it's coming up on its last day I believe, today. Man, I sure want another 9X45. Y'all ever do that? Sellers regret? I don't think I ever have before! LOL! At least not to this level!

I guess I just needed to vent! I hope that's all it is!

May as well make this the regret forum haha. I get where you are coming from. The 9x45 indeed look nice. Nice that they were able to fit AK prisms in them. Seems like a great buy. Nice that they made the objective lens 45mm to render a 5 mm exit pupil (not that it matters, but its a nice number).

Biggest seller regrets:

Habicht 8x30
Meopta 12x50 HD - not so much the binocular (dont get me wrong - its a fantastic optic), but the fact that I included the outdoorsmans tripod adapter in the sale. Managed to get one back in a trade recently so I feel like I have closure :)
EL 8x32 - Bought it and returned it because other fiscal priorities came up. It was a tough goodbye.

May as well make this the regret forum haha. I get where you are coming from. The 9x45 indeed look nice. Nice that they were able to fit AK prisms in them. Seems like a great buy. Nice that they made the objective lens 45mm to render a 5 mm exit pupil (not that it matters, but its a nice number).

Biggest seller regrets:

Habicht 8x30
Meopta 12x50 HD - not so much the binocular (dont get me wrong - its a fantastic optic), but the fact that I included the outdoorsmans tripod adapter in the sale. Managed to get one back in a trade recently so I feel like I have closure :)
EL 8x32 - Bought it and returned it because other fiscal priorities came up. It was a tough goodbye.

Maven has not had anything that I would consider, for several reasons, but those 3 binoculars you mention selling are some of my favorites, I suppose you should be more patient in your selections,

We all have choices, some brands like Maven don't make the cut for me....

Jerry

Wasn't aware they had a 15% off....but it ended the 30th, last night. So a 45mm? I never thought of that over a 42mm just because no one makes em. I can see by the specs that the light transmission for a 45mm is around 94% while the standard 42mm is more like 91%. That is quite a bit of a +.

I can also see the weight of the 45mm is 5 ounces more. Now, 5 ounces doesn't seem like a lot until one is carrying the thing around day. Anyhow, ...I like these. Do you find these better as birding bins or hunting bins? jim

Last edited:
Chuck. Here is a question for you. I am not trying to tell you what to buy. That is none of my business. I have thought about it many times. Why when you can obviously afford the best alpha binocular's would you buy and use a less expensive binocular that is probably not as good optically as the alpha's? I have reduced my binocular collection to just the alpha's I like the best because they are the binocular's I use. I use to have a bunch of less expensive binocular's in my collection and then when I would use them I am thinking why I am using this binocular when I have a $2K binocular sitting at home? Is it because you sometime's don't want to take your better binocular's out or is it you just like having different binocular's to switch off with? Just curious what your thinking is.

I tried a B2 demo and ended up returning it. The combination of 9X and and a wide FOV gave the widest AFOV I've seen. Brightness was great too. The only things I didn't like were the eye cups, I had to set them between stops to get the best view with my glasses. Also, CA wasn't as good as my Kowa Genesis. According to their specs Maven uses Fluorite glass in the B5. I'd try the B2 again if they make an updated version with the same glass.

Chuck. Here is a question for you. I am not trying to tell you what to buy. That is none of my business. I have thought about it many times. Why when you can obviously afford the best alpha binocular's would you buy and use a less expensive binocular that is probably not as good optically as the alpha's? I have reduced my binocular collection to just the alpha's I like the best because they are the binocular's I use. I use to have a bunch of less expensive binocular's in my collection and then when I would use them I am thinking why I am using this binocular when I have a $2K binocular sitting at home? Is it because you sometime's don't want to take your better binocular's out or is it you just like having different binocular's to switch off with? Just curious what your thinking is.

Hey Dennis,

In summation, variety is the spice of life!

To me owning different binocular from different price ranges is an education. I enjoying using models from different price ranges, makers, and formats. To me it's fun! If I can help others along their way in binocular choice, that's a plus. It's impossible to own them ALL so I try to pick the cream of the crop of some price points. I know YOU enjoy trying different binoculars! I've also found price paid isn't always indicative of a very nice birding binocular! There have been a few busts along the way for sure. But using a Maven, a Tract, a Monarch HG, a Conquest HD, a Vanguard Endeavor, et al isn't THAT much of a decrease in performance IMO. Don't worry....during migration or when I go on a birding trip you can always be sure I have the best I have with me!

BTW....I DID resist!

Last edited:
Particularly to Chuck's point, a few manufacturers have offerings that are pretty unique or that really standout for some particular reason, so even if they are not true top of the line alphas, they can very easily find a place with many people. Some that come to mind (and this isn't meant to cause an argument that the Retrovids or E2s or something truly are alphas - they are not $2000+ Noctivids / SFs / ELs / EDGs):

Retrovids
Kowa 6.5x32, Maven 6x30
Canon IS bins besides the 10x42L
Monarch HGs (combination of very small size/weight + very large FOV is fairly unique actually within their classes)
Swaro CL
Maven 7,9,11x45
Victory Pocket
Papilio
Nikon E and E2

I would say others (Conquest HD, Tract, Vanguard, Trinovid, just for instance) are more standard formats at different price points so perhaps less likely to find a home with those that already own alphas. Of course I'm sure there are plenty of people who have, say, an alpha 10x42 then a 2nd tier 8x32 or the like. But if you look at people that already have a few alphas, do you find more unique formats or more repetition of common formats at lower price points?

Personally I have, at the moment, two alphas: 8x42 and a 10x42, then an MHG 8x30, Kowa 6.5x32, and a Canon 12x32IS. I am not in the least tempted by other x42mm bins but if, say, the Retrovid were more waterproof and had a better FOV, I'd be really interested. I long considered the Maven 6x30 but ultimately held out and then the Kowa came along. I won't be interested in another 8x30 until there is something clearly better than the CL/MHG in a comparably lovely, tiny package.

Hey Dennis,

To me owning different binocular from different price ranges is an education. I enjoying using models from different price ranges, makers, and formats. To me it's fun! If I can help others along their way in binocular choice, that's a plus. It's impossible to own them ALL so I try to pick the cream of the crop of some price points. I know YOU enjoy trying different binoculars! I've also found price paid isn't always indicative of a very nice birding binocular! There have been a few busts along the way for sure. But using a Maven, a Tract, a Monarch HG, a Conquest HD, a Vanguard Endeavor, et al isn't THAT much of a decrease in performance IMO. Don't worry....during migration or when I go on a birding trip you can always be sure I have the best I have with me!

BTW....I DID resist!
Thanks! Interesting answer. I agree there are a lot of other unique offering's outside of what the alpha maker's give us. But when you are using those sub-alpha binoculars do you ever think in the back of your mind that the alpha Zeiss SF, Nikon EDG or Swarovision that is sitting at home might give you a little better view of the bird you are looking at?

Last edited:
Hey Dennis,

To me owning different binocular from different price ranges is an education. I enjoying using models from different price ranges, makers, and formats. To me it's fun! But using a Maven, a Tract, a Monarch HG, a Conquest HD, a Vanguard Endeavor, et al isn't THAT much of a decrease in performance IMO. QUOTE]

Sums it up for me too Chuck. Unless I am reviewing a bino I don't obsess over the details of its performance but rather enjoy what it does and how it feels, how it differs from yesterday's bino. I've said this before but taking out different binos is like going out with a different companion and it is much like going out with different human friends who all have their strengths and weaknesses but nevertheless remain friends because when you add these character points together they add up to what makes them unique.

Lee

I am pretty tight when giving up my cash, so will not just experiment for the sake of it. The idea is good. Thus, I will research and look at advice etc before buying. I am looking for a smaller pair of bins, ....I see the Maven has one but not on that 'unique' list being offered as only the 45's were on that list. I must admit though, an intriguing number.

I am pretty tight when giving up my cash, so will not just experiment for the sake of it. The idea is good. Thus, I will research and look at advice etc before buying. I am looking for a smaller pair of bins, ....I see the Maven has one but not on that 'unique' list being offered as only the 45's were on that list. I must admit though, an intriguing number.

You can try a Maven for I think 15 days. You can send it back, only out shipping, which is a cheap way to try a set. The B3 is on the same frame (with different eye cups) as the Swarovski CL, so if that fits your ergonomic needs, so will the Maven.

My current (and likely permanent) binocular combination is the 8x30 B3 and the 9x45 B 2. I am becoming ever more fond of the 8x42 B 1. It is worth every penny, there is still no better value to your dollar than the B 3.

Maven optical quality is alpha level, some sacrifices in fit and finish are to be expected, but they are well made and i have no problems after five years constant use. I have C1, B1, B2, and B3 models.

Last edited:
You can try a Maven for I think 15 days. You can send it back, only out shipping, which is a cheap way to try a set. The B3 is on the same frame (with different eye cups) as the Swarovski CL, so if that fits your ergonomic needs, so will the Maven.

My current (and likely permanent) binocular combination is the 8x30 B3 and the 9x45 B 2. I am becoming ever more fond of the 8x42 B 1. It is worth every penny, there is still no better value to your dollar than the B 3.

Maven optical quality is alpha level, some sacrifices in fit and finish are to be expected, but they are well made and i have no problems after five years constant use. I have C1, B1, B2, and B3 models.

I like the idea that you can try for 15 days. If the B3 on same frame as Swaro CL, I can go to the local Cabellas and try it out. What do you think of the eye-cups on the Maven? The weight of the Maven is about the same as the CL I see.

I like the idea that you can try for 15 days. If the B3 on same frame as Swaro CL, I can go to the local Cabellas and try it out. What do you think of the eye-cups on the Maven? The weight of the Maven is about the same as the CL I see.

They are screw off and reasonably squarish edges. I think the CL eye cups might suit some people better, but they'll be fine if you don't have particular issues you need to personally address. I have zero issues with them.

A recent spec comparison between the Maven 8x30 / 10/30 to the Swarovski 8x30Cl / 10/30....Maven has the Swaro beat in Less weight, size....light transmission, near focus, and field of view while twilight factor is equal (according to specs I find on both sights). And to top it off, the price is a lot less for a quality bin. It seems almost too good to be true other than I know that in optics, price is everything.

Now, I know from past experience with other bins I have had (Vortex for one) that yes, they are cheaper than a Swaro but simply don't last as long either. How does Maven quality compare to Vortex in quality, might be my question. I am not a vortex fan, ....they have stolen their designs from Swarovski and I feel have hidden cheapness 'inside' , thus making Swaro look-alike without quality nor quality control.

I can order in a pair of Mavens (and might), but not till you actually use a product for a year or so, do you begin to see where 'cheapness' comes into play, for that is where my Vortex was before I experienced it and the vortex at the time was $500 back in 2012.

If you keep looking at the page header with MAVEN (Buy now), you are likely to succumb to binocularosis, and pull the trigger.

Andy W.

The 45 is such as unique number.....bound to be good! ....Does Maven sell in stores such as Cabellas or the like?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back