• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B.2 vs B.6 (1 Viewer)

Despotes

United States
Mostly for viewing deer in low light w/o sacrificing day time performance.
The B.2 (9X45) has the "better" AK prisms for light transmission (93.7%), but the B.6 (10X50) has a higher transmission rate (94.75%) according to Maven's specs even though they have the S-P prisms. Weight is not a factor for me.
Is one optically superior or are they so close you wouldn't be able to tell the difference? If all is equal, a wider fov would be nice.
I never hear about the Tract Toric UHD 10X50. They're much less expensive, but are they optically inferior? GPO Passion HD 10X50?
Ultimately which is best for my use at roughly 1k$ or less?
Maven B.2 vs B.6
Tract Toric UHD
GPO Passion HD

Currently using older Nikon Monarch 8X42. I'm hoping the upgrade will be very noticeable.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Bird Forum.

First off you will not notice a 1% difference in transmission. There is a ever so slight advantage in low light with the 10x B6 vs the 9X B2. You won't notice it without the two side by side.

I think the Mavens are slightly better than the Tract. However the Tract is close enough that you will not notice the difference without a side by side.

If the Toric vs Maven price difference is significant to your expendable income, then the Tract is likely the best bet.

On another note the Maven B6 will not work for and IPD of less than 58mm.

I have significant time with most of the glass on the list, if not all models, then all of the companies. There is not a bad choice on the list you provide. The noticeable difference will be which one fits you best. Some people have more specific needs in some areas than others,

Last edited:
Mostly for viewing deer in low light w/o sacrificing day time performance.
The B.2 (9X45) has the "better" AK prisms for light transmission (93.7%), but the B.6 (10X50) has a higher transmission rate (94.75%) according to Maven's specs even though they have the S-P prisms. Weight is not a factor for me.
Is one optically superior or are they so close you wouldn't be able to tell the difference? If all is equal, a wider fov would be nice.
I never hear about the Tract Toric UHD 10X50. They're much less expensive, but are they optically inferior? GPO Passion HD 10X50?
Ultimately which is best for my use at roughly 1k$ or less?
Maven B.2 vs B.6
Tract Toric UHD
GPO Passion HD

Currently using older Nikon Monarch 8X42. I'm hoping the upgrade will be very noticeable.
All the glass at $1k will be a lot brighter than old Monarchs, except for Meopta. Have you considered the Zeiss Conquests in 10x42, they are also very very bright. I own 2 Mavens and love them too. The best advice I can offer is to try before you commit. Ergo’s and eye placement matter more than brand name to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back