• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven 7x45 discontinued? (1 Viewer)

They just replied twice- first to tell me that yes, they are "retired" and second after I told them I wept and gnashed my teeth, not to worry, plenty of time to get a pair. sigh. Regards, Pat

They just replied twice- first to tell me that yes, they are "retired" and second after I told them I wept and gnashed my teeth, not to worry, plenty of time to get a pair. sigh. Regards, Pat
That’s unfortunate…..good 7x binoculars are hard to find

The 7x45 Maven B 2 it seems was a victim of its spec sheet. People howled out loud because the spec sheet gave it a fov of 389'. That, according to the near unanimous declaration was just too restrictive. I did a review here on the 7x model. I actually measured the fov and it is 420', which is the 8* people seem to feel is plenty wide on other 7x models. The reaction was..".but Steve...but Steve the spec sheet says it is 389' and that is just too restrictive". Kind of like throwing water on a duck. Because of the lack of popularity of 7x in general. That and spec sheet anxiety. Howewver the big issue I think was the 7x magnification. There are a few people here, myself included, who like a 7x glass. They missed on maybe the best 7x glass they might find because of spec sheet anxiety. What does not sell won't be kept in the lineup.

Last edited:
I have always wondered why Maven spec's their bins with such low FOV when they routinely (always?) test higher. It seems unnecessarily conservative and I have to think that they must lose sales because of this.

I have always wondered why Maven spec's their bins with such low FOV when they routinely (always?) test higher. It seems unnecessarily conservative and I have to think that they must lose sales because of this.
Maven has tried to rectify that, but for whatever reason their OEM is not on board, I agree it is pretty strange. However the new B6 fov specs match the measured number.

They must have changed their mind as I was told by a rep (or perhaps the rep is a former nikon rep- they seem to have their own agendas at times when it comes to answering questions that are contradicted later) that yes, they were discontinued. Strange, as the rep told me they were going to be priced accordingly and that initially there was going to be sufficient inventory and not to worry.
Here's the body of the text
"
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the note. We are slowly working on discounting the 7x in the B2. We do have a number of them in stock and in production at the moment, so it will take some time to fully sunset them from our fleet. Please let us know if you have other questions. "

They must have changed their mind as I was told by a rep (or perhaps the rep is a former nikon rep- they seem to have their own agendas at times when it comes to answering questions that are contradicted later) that yes, they were discontinued. Strange, as the rep told me they were going to be priced accordingly and that initially there was going to be sufficient inventory and not to worry.
Here's the body of the text
"
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the note. We are slowly working on discounting the 7x in the B2. We do have a number of them in stock and in production at the moment, so it will take some time to fully sunset them from our fleet. Please let us know if you have other questions. "
Never good to see another 7x taken off the market…..people really don’t know what they are missing out on

I talked to one of the owners about this. One thing he told me is that time and time again people gravitate toward the 7x while looking at them in the many shows Maven attends each year. Somebody with them almost always asks..."why in the world would you by something with 7x when you can get it in 11x? If somebody with them does not tell them that, most reach the conclusion themselves Call it the "bigger is better syndrome"..

I talked to one of the owners about this. One thing he told me is that time and time again people gravitate toward the 7x while looking at them in the many shows Maven attends each year. Somebody with them almost always asks..."why in the world would you by something with 7x when you can get it in 11x? If somebody with them does not tell them that, most reach the conclusion themselves Call it the "bigger is better syndrome"..

I think it’s Maven job to answer that question and use it as a marketing tool to make them stand out in the binocular industry. Especially one that doesn’t make high end 7x binoculars anymore

the advantages of 7x are strong and many die hard optic enthusiasts know this

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back